Thursday, March 09, 2006

March 9, 2006

Well here's a post I wasn't expecting to place. Guess where I just came from?

  • The beach? No...I wish!
  • An ultrasound appointment? No...believe it or not.
  • My front yard where I was talking over the hedges with my fellow "Desperate Houswives?"...no, but a good guess.
  • The hospital?

    Ding! Ding! Ding! You win the prize.

    Ugh -- it's been a week.

    I woke up Monday morning feeling awful. I figured it was just the awful feeling I usually battle (you know, 21 weeks pregnant with twins) combined with a poor night's sleep. I got up, went to work and sat miserably at my desk.

    I went home to get some work done (I can't get anything done in my office - I have to go home to do it. But that's another story for another time...) and ended up on the couch, totally wiped out and feeling worse by the minute.

    Todd called me and said, "We're having computer issues and I have no desk, phone or machine. I'm coming home for lunch to kill some time. Want me to pick up Devin from school?"

    Oh yes, please. PLEASE. I promptly changed into my jammmies.

    Devin and Todd got home and I hugged them both briefly on my way to the bathroom to puke.

    And that kicked off a long chain of events. Puking. More puking. A little more puking. A nap. Puke. Moan quietly from the bedroom. Puke. Dry heave. Go to bed.

    I woke up on Tuesday morning and stood up. A mad dash to the bathroom resulted in more puking. Where was this stuff coming from? I hadn't eaten or had anything to drink in 24 hours.

    Then it hit me: I hadn't eaten or had anything to drink in 24 hours. Uh oh.

    The contractions started. This was not good. So I called my doctor and they said, "To the hospital with you!"

    So I called Todd (who was at work) and told him that I was going to Methodist. He suggested that he come home and get me but he works only blocks from the Medical Center where the hospital is. I told him to just meet me there in the Antepartum department -- I'd drive myself.

    So I did and we met right where we said we would. The orders were faxed over from Dr. Harden's office and I was placed in room 154 and immediately plucked with an IV. Monitors were slapped to my tummy to watch for heartrates and contractions.

    Now when I was pregnant with Devin, I got dehydrated and was in the hospital for an afternoon, so when the nurse started talking about what I'd like for dinner that night, I had to stop and say, "Wait a second...how long will I be here?"

    "Well, at least tonight."

    Gulp.

    By this time, Todd had to leave to pick up Devin so I called and said, "At some point tonight, I'm going to need you to bring me some things. I'm not coming home!"

    I spent the rest of the day being pumped full of fluids. When after two full bags of saline, I still hadn't peed, there became a little bit of concern and I was tested for a bladder infection. Aren't you all so glad to hear about this?

    Finally, I had to go to the bathroom. By my calculations, it had been more than 18 hours. Pretty severe, apparently.

    But it seemed to be working and I spent countless hours watching TV and napping. All in all, it was a pretty comfortable stay, save the darn IV. I hope to God I don't have one of those when I'm being monitored. You can't do anything with one of those in your hand! I barely got my face washed!

    Todd and Devin came in around 7:00 to visit and bring me my essentials -- contacts case and solution, toothbrush, toothpaste. Devin let me borrow one of his stuffed animals so I wouldn't miss the cat too much.

    They had to leave around 7:40 to get D to bed and I cried when they left. I felt so lonely and all I wanted to do was be at home in my own bed. I thought I'd never fall asleep. It wasn't the most relaxing night of my life, to say the least.

    The next morning Dr. Harden came in to see me. I was negative for a bladder infection and was free to go after I finished up the bag of saline. She also arranged for one of the on-call neonatologists to come in and talk with Todd and me about viability and lifelong morbidity.

    Dr. Molina (the neonatologist)arrived around 9:00 a.m. and Todd shortly thereafter. She gave us a lot of good information and we discussed what we thought was right for monitoring and possibly intervening for the twins. It wasn't easy. Todd and I got within a week of one another, but came to an impasse. He wanted 26 weeks, I wanted 27 weeks. We argued and cried and finally decided on 27 weeks. April 17 -- the day after Easter. It's set. I hope we're right.

    I was monitored a little more and given my discharge papers. A little old gentleman from the Blue Bird Society (candy stripers, from what I can gather) came to my room with a wheelchair to take me to my car. I took one look at him and thought, "I should be wheeling YOU around!" He was a kind and sweet man, though. And pretty strong to be pushing me and my two girls around.

    He wheeled me to the front desk where my parking was validated, to the garage, to the elevators and up to the 3rd floor. From there, he helped me from the wheelchair and held me by the crook of my arm while I walked to my car. He even waited to see that it started for me.

    Now that's service!

    And with that, I drove myself home! Todd's parents came to stay with Devin and I arrived home to lots of hugs from the three of them. Oh boy, did it feel good to be home.

    I'm at work today, feeling much better. Co-workers keep bringing me bottles of water, so I don't think dehydration will be a problem again for awhile.

    Ahhh...the life that is Erin.

    Much love to all...

  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Erin and Todd!!

    I am a horrible friend and have not been keeping up with your "odyssey" as I should be. I am so excited for you guys! There have been so many nights I have wanted to call, and then I stray from that thought in fear that I would be waking someone up. I just noticed I could leave a comment on here. Yeah, I'm slow... that's why I'm in college!

    Just know that you guys are always on my mind and in my prayers. I am hoping to make a trip there soon to see you guys. My life has been great, but a whirlwind.

    All my love and prayers,
    Val