Sunday, March 11, 2007

Head Hung in Shame

I'm painfully aware of how long it's been since my last post. But I have an excuse. I have lots of excuses, in fact. And they're good ones...at least in my mind. :)

First of all, spring is not treating the Pruetz family well. For the fourth time in three months, we've passed strep around. It always starts the same. One of us gets it, and three days later, the next person gets it and then so on and so forth. By the time the last person in the family is done with their antibioitics, it starts all over again. We're in the process of having everyone tested for strep "carrier" status, but one has to be feeling well for those tests to happen. Since it seems that no one ever feels well in this family, finding a time for testing is difficult.

The past time, it hit me the worst. I spent a full seven days hacking, sneezing and wheezing. Apparently, I had some sort of viral infection that became a secondary, bacterial and thus strep. Another Z-pack for me.

The girls are now on a 14-day regimen of Cefzil and Todd just finished his 14 days of antibiotics. We're waiting to see when Devin comes down with it. And then we'll start the whole cycle over again, I am sure.

Along with the traveling bacteria, I have taken on a couple of large roles in my life. First off, I have been named the Vice President of my local MOMS Club International chapater. It's not a huge job and doesn't take up that much time, but it does require some thought and certainly an on-going committment to our club.

And on top of that, I have been asked to be the co-director of our church's yearly Women's ACTS retreat. I've talked about ACTS retreats in the past, but if you want more info, there is a link on the left side of my blog titled, "ACTS Mission." You can read all about it there.

ACTS is very near and dear to my heart, as a weekend with ACTS is a life-changing experience for anyone who takes the time to go. I hardly know a single person who hasn't come back completely and permanently different. As my friend and ACTS sister Jennifer says of her husband who returned from a retreat two weeks ago, "He's new and improved."

Being asked to be a director or co-director is an honor. ACTS is taken very seriously and to be asked to lead a retreat is to be deemed trustworthy, spirit-filled and capable.

All of that makes me wonder, "Why was I asked?"

The truth is, I have a lot of trepidation about being a co-director. Certainly I draw a lot of strength from those around me who think I'm capable of such a job, but my own self-doubt makes me think, "There are hundreds of people better for this job than I." The ACTS community at our church alone is near 1,000 people.

Despite my doubts, I've accepted the job, and along with my good friend Tina, who is the major head honcho -- the Director -- things are going very well. We have a team of 25 wonderful women who are making our jobs easier than they should be. I suspect the weekend of April 12-15 will be a phenomenal one, due to the hard work of so many spiritual women.

I am very, very lucky.

In homestead news, despite bacterial growth, the kiddos are doing fine. Devin is officially enrolled in Pre-K starting in September and he is very excited. The girls are more and more mobile every day, and are starting to pull up. They're still very adept at getting to their knees, but Faith is determined to get up on her feet. It'll happen soon -- they are both so strong and so determined. Watch out world...here they come.

We're enjoying gorgeous weather here in San Antonio, with highs in the mid-70s during the day. We've spent a lot of time outside lately and are soaking it up while we can because, before we know it, it will be 108 outside and totally unbearable.

So, again, I am sorry for my lack of postings. Hopefully I'll find more time soon, but if I don't, please bear with me.

E

3 comments:

Meg said...

Pre-K? Wow! I'd love to hear more about what that involves. Is it at your local elementary school or through a private pre-school? So much to learn...
Momma Meg

Luckymom said...

Hey Erin! You and I were both busy "blogging" tonight! It's been a lot longer for me than for you...Your babies are soooo cute (all 3 of them)! Can't believe Devin will be in pre-k! Wow. I'm thinking about putting Luke in playschool in the Fall for 1 day a week. Think he might like that. Ryann started to crawl tonight actually...having a hard time with her reaching these milestones. Congratulations on your new positions. I wish I lived closer so I could share in these things with you - it sounds like a lot of fun. Anyways, I better get going! Must get to bed! Miss you and love you! Bye for now...Sara

Laura said...

I cannot believe how much strep you have dealt with, miserable, probably doesn't cover it! Sounds like the girls are doing fabulous. We got a late spring snow last night, so your weather sounds very very nice!