Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Bathroom

Yes -- the story continues. I mean, seriously... When did I start this whole process? Mid-August. And is it done yet? Of course not.

On Tuesday, my contractor finally showed up to start the tiling. Of course, since there was carpeting in the bath, we had to put down cement board first. That was laid on Tuesday and had to set over night.

Wednesday arrived and the tiling began. It went pretty well until the very end, when we were short three tiles. Three. Seriously.

Of course, I can't just buy normal tile. I had to buy the small, mosaic octogonal tiles that often have to be special ordered. Luckily, Home Depot had them in stock, but I was totally prepared to wait six weeks for my three final tiles to come in.

So the remaining tiles were set today and now the guys are up there grouting. The grout will set over night and, hopefully tomorrow will bring my baseboards and my toilet back.

What a luxury -- a working toilet in your master bathroom. SHEESH.

We haven't even begun the painting the master bedroom and suddenly the current paint job doesn't look too bad. I can't imagine doing any more home improvement. I'd rather put an ice pick in my ear.

Moving on...

Last week I took the Doodlebug to have his stiches taken out. I knew it was not going to go well, but I was totally unprepared for what transpired.

I took the girls to the drop-off childcare place near our home (this place is a lifesaver!) so I could focus my attention on Devin.

We got into the room and talked about what was going to happen and how it was going to be done. He was a little anxious about it and I warned the nurse. She said, "Oh -- they're all like that," and didn't heed my advice to sedate him. :)

So Dr. T. came in and asked to see Dev's hand. No can do. He wouldn't even show it to her.

We finally got his arm stretched out and the screaming commenced. Dr. T. had to go get her nurse so that the nurse, along with me, could restrain my 40-lb. child.

And so it began, as I held his right arm down by his side and wrapped my legs around him. The nurse held D's left hand still while Cheryl pulled the stiches.

And what did Devin do? He screamed. And screamed. And screamed. And screamed.

And screamed.

We heard a lot of good phrases come from my kid's mouth:

"Get me out of here!" "Let go of me!" "Stop it right now!"

It just about broke my heart and I think I would have cried if I hadn't been laughing so hard. I mean, the whole thing was just so ridiculous.

Afterwards, we hit Krispy Kreme for a Get Well doughnut. That perked the kiddo up pretty easily.

And Finally...

This weekend is Todd and my 6th anniversary. It's hard to believe that it's been six years since we married in Dallas. It's been a great six years and we are looking forward to going out on a date alone on Saturday night. Oh the bliss.

And, for no good reason other than the fact that my kids (and dog) are adorable, here are some picture. Enjoy!


First day of Pre-K, September 4, 2007.



So much for clean laundry. That's Gracie in the basket and Faith trying to make her way in.



Zoe. I love that dog and couldn't resist a photo.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I have had so many delays when we do repairs/upgrades so I really relate.

When Jacob had his stitches removed it was a DISASTER! They told him it would not hurt but soon it was discovered that the stitches were stuck inside the wound still. They were digging in there and he was in the papoose screaming. The nurse told me then he is just scared its not hurting... the doctor broke in and said, "No this really hurts". When it was over he was red and wet from tears and sweat! Crazy! After than each time he goes in he has gone down in history as the worst stitches to ever remove (no fault of his) and they tell him that it will never be forgotten. It won't be by us I tell you. I have never ached so much for the pain my child was in, and I think it was done badly to have it happen.

The pictures are adorable. NO MORE STITCHES!

Anonymous said...

Well Devins, sorry to hear about the bathroom. I had granite counters put in the kitchen and all bathrooms, a lowered ceiling knocked out, a ceiling fan removed and patched up, and did all the necessary painting in 3 days. Hang with me, kid, I'll help ya get it done. You will probably be subjected to pics of this project soon too. As for your oldest child-- I'm glad you laughed b/c that story made me. Never a dull moment over there! blake

Claremont First Ward said...

You have a corgi? Cute! Happy Anniversary. Hope your date is really special. I'm glad to hear the stitches are out and your don't have to go through that again any time soon.........I hope!

3 tiles? Geez. I would have been so mad. So lucky Home Depot had them in stock. That's the thing with remodels......they never go as planned. If it makes you feel any better, or trim is still not totally painted........

Casey's trio said...

I hope your next update will include pictures of a working toilet and a beautifully tiled floor!
So glad the stitches are out and theat you both survived...my kinda guy washing that pain away with a donut:)

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! The pics are adorable of all the kiddos and the pup. I can't believe how big the girls are getting!
Talk to you soon! Love, B