Sunday, July 29, 2007

Poopapalooza
And Other "Shocking" Stories

This week has been a lesson in futility for Erin.

First, it started out last Tuesday with a major lightning storm rolling into San Antonio around 5:00 p.m. I was outside with the kids, enjoying an unusal period of dry weather. Of course, a roll of thunder rumbled across the neighborhood and down came the huge, "run because you've just gotten into a water balloon fight with God and are losing" raindrops. I shuttled the kiddos inside and soon the rain started coming down in sheets. Thunder and lightning made it interesting and Devin stayed close by me, none-too-impressed by God's show.

Now, being the industrious (and obviously brillilant) woman that I am, I decided to get some work done before I started dinner, knowing that Todd would undoubtedly be late because of the weather.

So I did some dishes. I stood with my hands in water, at my aluminum sink, which is placed in front of my aluminum framed window, under our corrugated tin patio cover.

Can you see where this is going?

BOOM! A crash of thunder came simultaneously with a flash of lightning which obviously hit somehwere very, very close to our home.

The electricity from the bolt came through the tin roof, around the window, through the sink and water and zapped me in the stomach. At first, I thought I'd dropped a breakable item and that a piece of glass had flown out and gotten me. But I soon realized that I had dropped nothing and that there was nothing broken anywhere around me.

I quickly turned off the water and the electricity went out. The kids were freaking out and I was trying to take stock of my bodily functions:

Heart beating? Check.
Lungs breathing? Check.
Eyes blinking? Check.
Ten fingers and ten toes? Check.
Name: Erin Pruetz
Eyes: Green
Age: 23

Okay -- I was all right, as I had not lost my delusions about my age.

Sadly, though, our phones and internet service did not fair so well, so if you've recently left me a phone message or sent me an email that I never responded to, now you know why.

Everything has been restored, except that our TiVo is on the fritz. We can't seem to plug both the TiVo and the phone in at the same time, so I have to make a choice: Pause-able, rewind-able TV or ability to make a phone call? It's a toss up, sadly.

We recovered quickly and Todd left on Thursday afternoon for his retreat. He was on a team for the first Teen ACTS retreat that our parish has done. He got back today with reports of an amazing weekend with some very inspiring kids.

While he was gone, I played single parent to the three kids. We had a good weekend, although I admit that we did not go a lot of places. We did got to Costco on Saturday and as I was standing in line with all three kids, who were crying and/or whining about various issues, a woman behind me asked, "How do you do it with three little ones?"

I told her, "There are a lot of tears shed. They are usually mine."

But the real excitement was on Saturday morning. Devin woke up at his usual time, around 7:30, and climbed in bed with me. I turned on the Disney Channel for him and snoozed while he watched. Soon, though, I heard the girls "talking" in their cribs and listened as they went from babbling to talking to crying to screaming. It was time to go get them and start the day.

The girls' cribs are positioned on either side of the door to their room. The way the door is positioned, though, you see Faith's crib when you first walk in. Around the door is Gracie's crib.

So I opened the door and there was Faith, standing at the end of her crib, doing her little, "Good Morning, Mommy!" dance that I just love.

But before I could open the door far enough to see Grace, I knew something was wrong. The smell. The girls' room smelled like the zoo. I kid you not -- it was the only thought that could get through my mind: This room smells like the zoo.

I continued opening the door and the stench got stronger and stronger. Moments later, the origin of the odor was apparent.

Grace was standing in her bed, crying, diaper still attached around her hips, but hanging down to her ankles.

And there was poop everywhere.

It was on the sheets. On the walls. On the rails and rungs of her crib. It was in her hair. Down her legs. In her ears and between her toes.

You have never seen so much poop in your entire life. How can so much stuff come out of such a small body?

I had to move quickly, running to get a pastic bag in which to put the soiled linens, a can of Lysol to disinfect everything that couldn't be put in the washer and start the bathtub.

In record time, I got Gracie cleaned up, her sheets, mattress pad and jammies into the wash and the poop off the walls and crib. All the remained was the smell, which took an entire 24 hours to get rid of.

Chalk one up for Super Mom...I had to laugh because if I didn't, I would have cried.

Most things are back to normal around here, although it seems that Faith may be developing another fever. We'll see how she sleeps tonight -- if she's up two or three times, it's a sure sign that she's got another ear infection.

More to come. Here's to wishing you a poopless night...

10 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

You are OFFICIALLY nominated super mom. Getting zapped by lightening and then dealing with such a wonderful morning surprise all while your husband was away. Kudos to you for not loosing it and making it through the week! WHew!

Claremont First Ward said...

And the title of this post?.....priceless.

Doug & Stacy Fournier said...

wow, that's kinda scary about the lightning. i don't know how many times i think "oh, it will never happen to me" and i proceed to do the dishes or take a shower, or go outside and just watch the storm go over us. i may be thinking twice now. wow on the poop too, i have had a couple of instances like that as well, and they are not fun at all. sounds like you had a very interesting week. i hope this week is more relaxing! :)

Casey's trio said...

Oh poor you....So glad you weren't hurt by the lightening zap-yikes! And the poopapalooza! Doesn't it have to happen to every mom at least once?

Laura said...

I agree with Angie! YUCKY!!! We had that happen to our Tivo once too. I am trying to remember how we got it fixed again? Have you called for tech support yet? It might be a setting you need to reset. I would have a major problem without mine too.

As for the poop incident. I hope its the only one you have. My girls were terrible this way. Honestly I cleaned up messes like that and I WAS crying a lot! It happened way too much not to. I had to safety pin and duct tape their diapers on. Hopefully for you it was just a fluke. I love your descriptions.

As for the lady at costco, I love your response on that one. There is a lot of crying, usually mine! Priceless!

Hope you got some time off when hubby returns, you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

That is hi-larious, although I'm sure yucky! My aunt told me once that she got some great advice from one of her girlfriends... "Before you kill them, get the camera and take a picture." This has resulted in photos of my cousin standing in a toilet, of another in the middle of a kitchen covered in flour, etc. Just a thought... I'm sure the girls future dates would love to see the poopapalooza pics! :)
Lots of love, Bridget

Anonymous said...

I'll say it again Devins-- only you. While this is one situation that I would not want to be there for, I have to admit it is hilarious (for an outsider). Hang in there my friend-- the best is yet to come! blake

cajungal01 said...

Ok, that was hysterical and let me say that you are not alone in your poop experience. I too have endured such joys from children and although I survived it, I am forever tainted with that memory. The jolt though while doing dishes...although I often need that while doing chores, I have not experienced it and couldn't imagine! WOWZERS! :0) You GO SUPERMOM! :0)
I too have to agree...love the title!
~robin

slw said...

VERY thrilling life you lead I must say, jeez...did you go and get checked out by the Dr after the lightening strike? I am guessing you must be ok, cause if your heart had been damaged by the shock you would have certainly had a heart attack when you opened the bedroom door to the poop scene!
YUCKY! Kudos an being so calm, I would have passed out( or gagged) I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

Erin! I just love reading your blogs - I laugh every time! You are so funny and make reading about your family such an enjoyable experience! I wish I was closer so I could pop in for a visit and some "Erin" time! One of these days I'm going to come down to San Antonio for a visit...that's a promise! Love you!

Sara