Monday, July 23, 2007

Uptown Liz



A friend of mine, a mom of triplets in California, also keeps a blog of things that are important in her life. Like my blog, most of her entries are about her girls, but every once in awhile, something else sneaks in.

Today, there was a new post about a Web site called UptownLiz.

I read the story and visited the site. The whole thing touched my heart and I contacted the owner, Ramona, to let her know how moved I was by the way she honored the sister she lost.

We emailed a few times and I asked her if I could please feature the site on my blog. She was ecstatic and even sent me some information and a picture of Liz.

Uptown Liz was founded to promote products from companies whose proceeds directly give back to charitable organizations. Through our online database, you can search by cause or product, with the knowledge that every time you link to a company and make a purchase, you are making a difference. Our mission is to build a bridge between compassionate consumers and concerned companies in order to improve the world around us. We like to call it "retail philanthropy" - the opportunity to purchase quality products that benefit worthwhile causes. Shopping has never felt so good.

This company was created in the memory of the late Elizabeth Ann Overturf, who died at the age of 28 years old on February 1, 2006 from a long and painful battle with breast cancer. Liz was a fashionista; she loved clothes, handbags, shoes, jewelry and perfume. One of her dreams was to own a clothing boutique with her sister, Ramona Russell. Because this was one of many dreams cut short for Liz, Ramona decided to create Uptown Liz and launch it on what would have been her sister's thirtieth birthday, July 17, 2007.



Elizabeth Ann Overturf
July 17, 1977 - February 1, 2006


I don't know Ramona and I didn't know Liz. But I don't have to know them to realize what a senseless loss this was. Ladies, you are the best judge of what's going on in your body. If you feel something is not right, get to the bottom of it. Don't take no for an answer until you've exhausted every option.

You may not be someone's sister, but you are someone's daughter, friend, mother, or wife. Take care of yourself for yourself ... and for them.

2 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

I saw this on Casey's blog, and I think it's fantastic!

Casey's trio said...

So sweet of you to contact Ramona and post this on your blog as well! I think her website is such a great idea and put together so well. Thanks for taking the time to do this:)