Thursday, October 11, 2007

It's 10:45 AM...Too Early for a Drink?

Ugh...I just got back from what may be one of the ten worst of experiences of my life. Nearly six weeks in the hospital tops the list...

As you may recall, about a month ago, I took the girls to see their doctor for their 15 month check ups. Because of their small sizes, Dr. T. wanted to have some blood work done on them. Well, it's taken me a little longer than it should have to actually get it done, but today was the day.

Needless to say, it was horrible. I mean, you never like having to have your kid pricked and prodded with needles, but when you have to put one down while she is still crying so you can do the same to the other one is especially awful.

To make matters worse, I had to actually lay on the table with the girls and hold them down. I hate the thought of being a restraint system for my own kids.

Luckily, we had two of the nicest, most patient phlebotomists you could ever hope for. They were kind and doting and simply wonderful. The experience could have been far worse if we'd had two women who didn't care.

I expected to only have a vile of blood taken from each baby, but when they brought out three for Gracie and four for Faith, I had to ask: What kinds of tests are they having done? I thought it was just a Complete Blood Count (CBC).

Turns out, they're getting CBCs, chem panels for heart disease and thyroid issues and a number of other things.

It makes me nervous. I'm sure they're fine, but I just want them to have the opportunity to live normally. Yes, they are small (at 16 months, they are wearing six-to-nine month clothes), but maybe they're just meant to be little. I'm okay with that.

If they are sick, I'd want to know so I can help them, but I just can't shake the thought that it's not their faults that they were born so early. I just want normal lives for them, free from health issues and disease. It's every mommy's hope for her children.

So it'll be a week or so before we hear back on the results. If you have prayers to spare, please say one for my girls, in the hopes that there will be no major problems found.

Peace.

7 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. My husband will still never forgive me for having him take Grace (my oldest) to get blood drawn for WIC when he was in school. He was so upset by the experience that no amount of free milk and cereal could get him "over it". I can only imagine having to sit there for 3 and 4 vials. Poor mamma, poor girls, and this waiting time. Must be killing you. I will definitely have your little sweeties in my prayers!

BTW, our trip to TX has been postponed. Jeff had to go to CA for 4 days this past week and it put a wrench in things.......

The Myers Family said...

I had to have a CBC ran on one of my girls a few months ago...my heart goes out to you and your sweet babies! You and your family are definitely in our thoughts and prayers!

Meg said...

Oh Erin, that must have been so hard. Your babies are so lucky to have a momma who loves them so much and takes such good care of them. I hope you know you're doing a fabulous job!

Casey's trio said...

Erin,

I'm glad you all survived the blood draws...I had to just take one of my girls in for her peanut allergy in the last couple of months and it was horrible to get blood drawn. I hope that all of the tests come back clear and I will say aome extra prayers for you. As you know, my girls are also petite and were still wearing 9 month clothes at 15 months as well. They wore size 12 months shorts for most of the summer...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Anonymous said...

The prayers are flowing my friend! After all they've been thru the one thing you can count on is your support system!! BTW- with things like this, it's never to early for a drink.
Blake

Anne said...

You will definitely be in our prayers, I'm so sorry they have to go through that! It's so hard to see your kiddos upset because of something medically necessary! They are so precious and what a blessing to have you as their mommy! Fu

Laura said...

We had to do these blood draws several times in our lives, once with my two older kids and twice with the twins and it was HORRIBLE! It makes getting shots seem like a picnic. I will be thinking about your girls as you wait for the results. I am sure everything will be just fine. My girls are small too!