Monday, October 08, 2007

Return of the Mac...

Isn't that a song? Or something similar?

Anyway, the computer is back, this time with a new logic board. Fabulous! It's nice to be connected again.

The past week has been a good one for the Pruetz family, albeit a little boring (boring by our standards may not be boring by yours, by the way).

Last week, Todd worked like a mad man all week long on a number of different projects. Most nights he wasn't home until 7:30 or 8:00, long after beddy-bye time for the girls. He would get a few moments with Devin, but the Doodlebug goes to bed at 8:00, so the two didn't have a whole lot of time together.

I guess I never realized how much I miss Todd when he's not around. Of course, it was hard feeding all three kids, getting them all bathed and jammied (yes, it's a verb in our house) and into bed all by myself, only to have to go and tackle cleaning the kitchen afterwards.

But really, that stuff didn't bother me as much as just not having Todd around bothered me. I missed him. I missed watching TV with him at night, or having a glass of wine with him on the front porch. It was sad, but I did get a good appreciation for not just Todd, but for our marriage as well.

Friday, though, Todd took a half day off. He took Devin to his 3:30 gymnastics class and after that, the two of them went on their Father-Son campout at the San Antonio Zoo!

Our zoo is so cool (as you've heard from previous posts) and they have so many neato programs. This particular one is called the "Family Campout." It's designed for families with kiddos 3 years - 5 years (hence the absence of the twins and me) and is a one-night adventure that includes roasting hot dogs over a fire, up-close animal experiences, a nighttime tour of the zoo, s'mores, a morning tour of the zoo (apparently, this is when the animals are at their friskiest!) and a breakfast. The two were home by 9:00 on Saturday morning, regaling me with tales of their fabulous trip.

  • Getting to pet an armadillo, a snake, an owl and a giant snail (which creeped Devin out and he dropped it -- he's his mommy's son)
  • A panther that put on quite a show by pouncing and stretching for the crowd
  • A rarely seen grizzly bear
  • A new friend named Aiden
  • And lots, lots more...

    Here are a few pictures from the camping trip of all camping trips


    Petting the Armadillo



    I love owls and was very disappointed to have missed this one!



    Dinnertime!


    Moving On...

    The rest of the Pruetz family is doing very well. The girls are masters at walking now and toddle around the house like old pros. It's easily the cutest thing I've ever seen. I just love that they are upright now.

    It's always been that Gracie was the dominant personality, while Faith was a little more reserved and quiet. Gracie would topple Faith in an effort to get what she wanted, while Faith was pretty content sitting in my lap, watching the action.

    Well I don't know what happened, but it seems that those personalities have been switched.

    Now I know what you're thinking, but no, I have not mixed the two up. How do I know? Because I am the mom, that's how. The girls look different to me. Also, Faith has always been smaller than Grace and has a freckle on her left leg that Grace doesn't have.

    So there.

    Anyway, it seems that Faith will no longer stand for being the "little, quiet one." She's decided that she will not be stereotyped and is doing everything in her power to make sure everyone knows that she's the boss.

    She talks ("What's that?" and "Kitty cat!" are her favorite sayings), she screetches (usually during meals) and she bites.

    The latter of those three personality traits is something that comes unprompted and seemingly randomly. She'll just see Grace (who is the sole recipient of Faith's oral imprint) from across the room, walk over to her and CHOMP! Two weeks ago, she drew blood on Gracie's left arm. Just as that bruise was going away, she took a chunck out of Gracie's right cheek. We are now calling Faith, "Hannibal Lector."

    And poor Gracie. She's become so quiet and retiring. She's now my lap baby who just follows me around, hoping to be picked up and cuddled. I have to admit that I love the snugglieness that is coming with this new personality. Since she wasn't a cuddler for the first 15 months of her life, I feel like I missed out on some good Mommy-Gracie bonding time. I'm making it up now, though. :)

    Peace from the Pruetz Pound. More to come...

  • 7 comments:

    Casey's trio said...

    You had me at the title...heck yes that's a song sister...and a good one too (in my book). Anyway..I want to come visit just to go to the zoo. How fun is that?
    Love that the girls are walking. Must see new pics of those two soon! My girls have done some personality swaps a few times, although Riley has always been dominant. But the other two step up now and then to give her a run for her money. So glad you are getting some cuddle time in with Gracie!

    Claremont First Ward said...

    What a great daddy-son experience. Love the pictures of the campout!

    Very interesting stuff about the twins and their personalities. I've noticed changes like these in my boys, too. It seems like the chomping bit goes in cycles......for one month it'll be Jacob who is aggressive, the next month John. At some point this year Jacob became my cuddler and as a baby he wouldn't even rest his head on my shoulder. He has also become my more reserved twin around strangers. Like you, I know I haven't mixed them up....it's so interesting watching the evolution of their personalities, and hearing about others as well!

    Anonymous said...

    So glad you're back online and that all is well! Can't wait to see you next month!
    Love, Bridget

    Anonymous said...

    You're back! I think Gracie is cuddling just to get away from that biter in the family. I remember Kathryn was like that too. My mom bite her back (hard!) one time and that solved the problem of her feeding on me. Best of luck. blake

    Anonymous said...

    Hmmm...why do you love owls, Erin? We went to the Texas Rennaisance Festival last weekend whilst visiting my Grandparents. I loved the "Birds of Prey" show and got to see a couple of owls close up. Jonah loves owls too. He has a book he loves to read at bedtime. Warms my heart.... Missing you and glad you're online again. Love, Tara

    Doug & Stacy Fournier said...

    welcome back! the zoo sounds like a blast, my older two would love staying at the zoo! sounds like a great father/son day. the pictures are great.

    i agree that my twins have also switched personalities off and on. i too have not mixed them up either (especially since one of my girls has a birthmark)! it seems just when i label them, they decide they want to be the opposite, go figure.

    anyway, i hope you have a great week!

    Laura said...

    Glad to see you back! My twins personalities have flip flopped many times and we have episodes of biting here still. I think its a right of passage for twins. That zoo is cool. Congrats on the walking!