Friday, December 09, 2005

December 9, 2005


Oh my gosh. This will be one of those days I will never forget. There are really only a few of these days that I can honestly say I'll never forget.

1. September 29, 2001: My wedding day
2. November 15, 2002: The day I found out I was pregnant with Devin
3. July 11, 2003: The day Devin was born
4. November 7, 2005: The day I found out I was pregnant again
5. December 9, 2005: TODAY - The day I found out I was having twins.

That's right -- as of today, our future lives have changed again. Twice in a month. We went from saying, "Wow - we're having another baby," to saying, "Wow - we're having TWINS!"

It started out like any other day. We got up, Todd took Devin to school and I went to work. I was off at noon, picked up Devin and we both went home for our respective naps (hey -- I'm pregnant). I woke up around 2:30, got dressed and freshened up and woke Devin up. We drove over to Aunt Z's house and said our goodbyes.

I was running a little late, as was Todd, and we happened to walk into the doctor's office at almost the exact same time. We sat in the waiting room, expecting nothing but the norm: a strong heartbeat, a good, healthy pregnancy. The usual.

Actually, I have to amend that statement. I have had a weird feeling about this pregnancy since I found out on November 7. Something inside me just said, "There's something different." I even discussed it with my co-workers Connie and Polina and, of course, with Todd. I just assumed whatever it was was bad -- I mean, there was no chance of this being twins, so what else could it be? It had to be bad: an ectopic pregnancy, a weak heartbeat. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew it wouldn't be normal.

Well aren't I the prophetic one?

The sonographer called us in and led us to the sonography room. I got undressed and Todd stood behind the sonographer (Veronica -- I'm sure I'll never forget her name). I had a little screen right next to me and Todd got to look at the big screen.

Veronica started the sonogram and about 30 seconds into it, said, "Hmmmm...did you take any fertility drugs?" I am such an air-head. "No," I answered, not thinking twice about why she would ask that. I was just having a great time seeing parts of my body that I don't normally get to see. I mean, really, ladies...how many times have YOU gotten a close up our YOUR ovaries?

Then Todd saw it. Or them, rather. He asked, "What is that? Is that TWO heartbeats?"

I about jumped off the table. What was he talking about? This isn't TWINS! I mean, how could HE see it before me? Preposterous. There's no way.

But then Veronica said it.

"Well, I didn't want to say anything too soon, but..."

HOLY SH*T.

This is when Veronica turned around and asked Todd if he was going to faint. He was fine -- just crying. So was I.

"Are you sure?"

"Yep -- look. Here's baby A and here's baby B."

She measured them (baby A is tracking at 8 weeks, 4 days and baby B is tracking at 8 weeks, 1 day. I was officially 8 weeks, 5 days today, so they're right on track) and we heard their two distinct heart beats. No doubt about it -- this is twins.

The rest of the sonogram went fine and we were asked to wait to see if Dr. Casiano wanted to see us. Veronica came back a few minutes later and announced that Dr. C was in surgery until 4:00, but that he would call us to talk about this. According to her, this is a high-risk pregnancy (for no reason other than it being twins) and special precautions will have to be taken.

So we left. That deer-in-the-headlights look all over again. Todd left to go to the store and I went to pick up Devin.

I called Dad and Jean along the way. First at home with no answer and then on Jean's cell phone. I happened to catch them together, in the car. I told Jean, "Well, we had our first sonogram today." "And...?" she asked. "And, you're not just expecting grandbaby #8, but grandbaby #9 too."

Silence.

"Erin -- you're having twins?" "Yep!" (Jean, in a much louder voice) "TOM! ERIN'S HAVING TWINS!"

We spoke for a few minutes about Todd's and my mental states and then she passed the phone to my dad. He stuttered, "HUH? WHU? TWI? TWI? TWINS?????" I don't remember the last time I heard my dad be genuinely surprised. He's a pretty sly man (anyone who was at our wedding may remember his toast about being a "fox") and he is really hard to surprise. But this did it! I could tell that both Jean and Dad were very happy and that just warmed my heart.

I arrived at Z's house as she was getting Devin out her car (they'd taken a little excursion to Target together). I parked in the driveway and she was in the garage. I got out of my car and just stood there. She said, "Are you okay? What happened?" All I could do was hold up two fingers.

She ran to me and demanded to see the sonogram photos. She thought I was lying! But there it was in black and white: TWINS. Baby A and baby B. She cried too.

And that was it. When we got home, Todd and I proceeded to call and email as many people as we could. We finally put down the phone and said, "Let's just absorb it all." All of the others would have to wait until this weekend or later next week.

So that's it. I had to write it down ASAP so I wouldn't forget a single detail. This is a day I'll never, ever forget.

We're having twins.

Peace, x2

No comments: