Wednesday, December 21, 2005

December 21, 2005

Four more days, four more days...

It's been an interesting 24 hours in the Pruetz house. Yesterday started like any other -- I went to work, left to get some stuff done and picked up Devin at noon. We came home, played for a little while and then we both took naps.

ZZ brought Addy and Presley over while she took her twins to the doctor. While she was gone, I noticed that I had started spotting. Now I spotted a little on Thanksgiving day and it was no big deal. But this was significantly more and now that twins are in the mix, it could mean any number of things. The night before, too, I had had some cramping, which I'd thought nothing of. Now, suddenly, it took on new meaning.

ZZ promptly returned for her kids and I told her about my discovery. She urged me to call my doctor and sure enough, as she predicted, they asked me to come in to be checked out.

Z agreed to take Devin and I called Todd to let him know what was going on. Todd came home, gathered us up and we dropped Devin off at the Mylar house.

We got to the doctor's office and they got us in pretty quickly. Then we waited and waited and waited in the exam room. Finally, Dr. Troy (one of Dr. Casiano's partners) came in and did an exam. No bleeding from the cervix, everything looked a-okay.

So he suggested a sonogram, just to make sure that there were still two heartbeats.

Sure enough, I laid on the table and he squirted the jelly on my tummy (why can't they make that stuff WARM? I mean, come on, we can put a man on the moon, but...). He started the ultrasound and lo and behold, there they were. Two babies, two heartbeats. It was awesome.

It had only been 11 days since our last sonogram, but the little dots we saw on the screen on December 9 looked like little humans this time! We saw heads, arms, legs, torsos, etc. And boy, were they moving! Todd has now taken to calling them the jumping beans. They were squirming all over the place. I can only imagine what it's going to feel like come 20 weeks or so...

So all looked fine. Two strong heartbeats and two well-developing babies. We breathed a sigh of relief and enjoyed the opportunity to get to see our little ones, especially now that they look like little ones and not like blobs. And there was still no sign of two sacs, lending credence to the argument that we're having identical twins.

I have to admit that since our last ultrasound I have been thinking to myself, "Maybe there was a mistake. Maybe it's NOT twins." While I love the idea of having twins, I am definitely scared and this was my version of denial. No way, though...there were definitely two people growing inside me.

We are eternally grateful that God heard our prayers and kept our babies safe. We were preparing for the worst news, but instead got the best. We are very lucky.

If I don't post again before Christmas, blessings to you and your families this holiday and throughout 2006.

Peace on Earth.

No comments: