Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Nine Months and Counting

Monday marked the girls' nine month birthdays and that meant one thing: a checkup!

On Tuesday afternoon, we ventured in to see Dr. Trexler. We started out by actually seeing the doctor before we saw the nurse, but that was fine with us. We talked a little bit about the girls' development as well as their eating and sleeping habits. I told Cheryl that both Faith and Grace seem to really prefer jar food to having a bottle and she assured me that this is fine. As long as they will take a bottle a couple of times during the day, they are just fine to have as much baby food and even soft table food as they like.

I casually mentioned that both girls seemed to have caught the cold that Devin had been diagnosed with about ten days ago. His strep test had come back negative so I didn't think much of it when the girls got a little congested and cranky.

To be on the safe side, though, we went ahead and did a rapid strep test.

Well whadda-ya know? Both girls have strep. No wonder they've been so difficult!

At the end of the appointment, while we waited for Cheryl to write out the prescriptions, we weighed and measured the girls. Grace is 15 lbs, 5 oz and 26.5" while Faith is 14 lbs, 8 oz at 26". Because of the whole unexpected strep thing, I failed to ask about their percentages, but I found a growth chart calculator that says that Faith is at less than the 3rd percentile for weight and at the 5th percentile for height. According to the same calculator, Grace is in the 3rd percentile for weight and the 12th percentile for height.

Okay, so they are a little small. But they are doing all sorts of great things like pulling up to their knees and babbling. Dr. T didn't seem worried, so why should I?

Back here at the homestead, the girls immediately started feeling better, making our lives a whole lot easier.

In fact, it seems that their third round of strep in two months has only increased their adorable-ness. Check out this story.

Last night, as we were feeding the girls, Todd stepped out of the room with Faith while I held Grace. Upon seeing her Daddy leave, she pulled the bottle from her mouth and said, "Dada..." I really didn't think much of it.

This morning, though, as we were watching some TV with Devin, Grace turned to the television, waved her hand toward the dark-haired, mid-thirties man on the screen and said, "Dada..." Okay...this time I think she was really talking about her father.

Unfortunately, Todd was not here to experience this. I wish he were. It was awesome.

Later on, I swear Grace said, "Hi Kitty," (or something remotely close to it). I've been teaching them to wave by waving to the cat and saying, "Hi Kitty!" whenever the fuzzy black feline draws near. I think Gracie caught on!

But now, for the cutest of the cutests...

I have a habit of kissing my girls on their foreheads. I tend to gently brush the palm of my hand over their foreheads first and then lay a soft kiss just above their eyes. I've noticed that I do this a lot.

Well, today, Grace was lying on the floor and Faith crawled over to her. I kid you not on this next part... Faith raised her hand (I thought Baby Smackdown 2007 was about to happen) and gently put it on Grace's forehead. Faith then removed her hand and lowered her head toward Grace's, where she softly placed her lips above Grace's eyes. She held her mouth there for a moment, then got up and moved onto chasing the cat.

Am I imagining things? Are they too young to do this kind of stuff? I guess it doesn't matter. It was so sweet and so perfect that I just don't care if Faith meant to do it or not. It brought tears to my eyes.

Here are some pictures of the kiddos for you...


Baby Body Slam! (And that's Faith, the small one on top of Grace)



Todd is teaching Devin to breakdance, which is what he is doing here. Fantastic. And yes, that's a Mickey Mouse blanket in my formal living room. If you can't be a kid once in awhile, what's the point in being a grownup? You should see my tribute to the Haunted Mansion at the end of my staircase. :)

No comments: