Wednesday, May 09, 2007

No Phantom Teeth This Time...

Back in January, I reported that Grace had sprouted a tooth. Turns out, babies often develop pockets of saliva that can look like teeth -- white little bumps on the ridge of the gumline. Looks like that is what it was, since Gracie is still as toothless as ever.

But Faith on the other hand...

Yesterday, Faith's Godmother, Linda, came over for lunch. We sat and talked, catching up after much-too-much time had past since our last, good visit. Faith sat on Linda's lap, mouthing everything in sight. Gracie was doing the same on my lap on the other end of the couch.

Linda made the comment that the girls are acting like they are teething and I answered, "They've been drooling and gnawing on things since they were three months old, but so far, no teeth!"

Now I have to interrupt myself here to let you know about my girls -- they love to make me into a liar. As soon as I say they can't do or say something, they immediately do it. For example, Devin swore that Grace was calling him a name in the car the other day.

"She's calling me a baby!"

"No she's not, Devin. She's just babbling."

Truth be told, I wasn't really listening. I've gotten very good at tuning out crying, whining and other noises that would otherwise send me to the looney bin.

As soon as I told Devin, though, that Gracie was just babbling and that she didn't know enough words to call him a name, she very clearly and very loudly said, "Baaaaybeeee..." Of course, I know that she did not intenionally call Devin a baby, but try explaining that to a three-year-old.

So there I sat, proved wrong by a child under the age of one. How's that for an ego-booster?

Anyway, back to my original story...

Just as I was telling Linda that there wasn't a tooth in sight for my twins, Faith guided Linda's finger into her mouth and, "Chomp!" down she clamped on Linda's finger. And out of Linda's mouth came a yelp.

"There's a tooth in there!"

Sure enough, Faith's lower left front tooth is budding through her little gums.

Proved wrong...again. I'm starting to get a complex.

So now we're waiting for Gracie to get her first tooth. It can't be too far behind, can it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that is just the beginning of your kids proving you wrong. Isn't that what we did to our parents? Thanks for the pics!! They are so cute and it's fun to see them grow! Blake