Thursday, May 31, 2007

Old Friends, New Friends

We have had the best week! On Tuesday, my good friend, Christi, and her son, Connor, came into town. Christi and I have been friends since the 8th grade (which we calculated was 18 years ago...how is that possible? Aren't I only 22 years old? Oh, I'm not?) and while we lost track of one another during college, we reconnected last year and realized that, even after all these years, we still have so much in common, including our three-year-old sons and reciprocal memberships at the Houston and San Antonio zoo.

And all of those points-in-common meant one thing: Road Trip.

Connor and Christi made their way from Houston to San Antonio, arriving in the Alamo City around 2:00 on Tuesday. We introduced the boys and while they got to know one another and play, Christi and I caught up on life in general. We email all the time and saw one another back in November, but there's nothing like being able to sit down on the couch and just talk.

That evening, Todd got home from work and Christi, Connor, Devin and I departed for our double date. We drove downtown to the Riverwalk and decided to party like rock stars -- we dined at the Hard Rock Cafe.

After dinner, we took a walk along the river and took a boat tour of the Riverwalk.

It was late, so we headed home to get a good night's sleep before our big day at the zoo the following day.

We woke up Wednesday morning and had breakfast - my very special Mickey Mouse waffles (this is where Christi said to me, "You all have a Disney problem around here, don't you? I love it!" She really is a girl after my own heart...). My across-the-street neighbor came to babysit Faith and Grace and the four of us were off again for another adventure.

Our zoo membership served us well as we just waltzed in without having to stand in line. Christi and Connor got in for 1/2 price because of their affiliation with the Houston zoo. Not too shabby!

We spent the day oohing and ahhing over all sorts of great animals -- from the pink flamingos and grizzly bears, to the bigest Gila Monster you've ever seen and a tent full of butterflies (Devin did not like that much...he asked to leave. Oh, and ZZ, beware...there is a picture of a big, blue butterfly below).

Christi even bought the boys some temporary tattoos...they thought they were the coolest.

We returned home hot, sweaty and hungry, so we had lunch and the boys played outside.

But all good things must come to an end and Wednesday afternoon, Christi and Connor left to return to Houston to see the rest of their family -- husband and daddy, Shawn, and brother and son, Foster.

We just had the best time. It was great to catch up with Christi and to see our little boys playing so well together was like seeing the circle of life complete itself. Christi and I were friends as kids and now our kids are friends. It was pretty amazing.

Here are some photos from our adventure. Christi is quite the scrapbooker and therefore sees photo opportunities that I would otherwise miss. Thanks for the fun, you two! We can't wait to come see you all!



The boys meet and hit it off immediately



Heading out for our double date



Connor and Christi at the Hard Rock Cafe. Dinner would not have been complete without swash-buckling hats and swords



The boys at the river. Check out Connor's awesome pants. I am going to run out and buy some for Devin. I love them!



At the bear exhibit at the zoo



It would have been better if we could have seen Connor's adorable smile, too, but I couldn't resist posting this one because Devin just looks so cute!



Connor and a gorgeous butterfly. I love this photo...



The boys on the giant Gila Monster sculpture. The live one we saw inside was roughly this big!




We found a really cool pathway of rocks over water! The boys thought it was great!



My tough guy



Connor's a tough guy, too!



Connor's bad-bottom face (c'mon...this is a family blog! What did you expect me to say?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christi called me yesterday to tell me what an awesome time ya'll had visiting! I'm so jealous! Glad you guys had such a great time!
Bridget

Doug & Stacy Fournier said...

wow, sounds like a blast!!! that's one thing we have no where near here is a zoo!!! i hate it. i want to take the kids to one. anyway, i'm glad you had fun. how did all the walking do with devin's foot??? he seems like he got alot bigger all of a sudden, what happened.....lol!! :) have a great week!

Meg said...

Absolutely adorable! You two found some little hotties for dates, and they're muscle men too! I love Connor's pants. I wonder if I can find them in Travis' size... Any idea where she got them? We have a Dallas Zoo membership! Maybe we'll have to do a road trip too!
What happy memories for you all.
Meg