Saturday, June 02, 2007

As the Stomach Churns...

Why the title? Because it seems I'm living in a soap opera, that's why.

Just as the twins finished their antibiotics for ear infections and Devin neared the end of his antibiotics (which, by the way, were so "heavy duty" that our pharmacist told us not to pour it down the sink because it could harm the ecosystem. And I'm putting this in my child's body???), I thought to myself, "Well maybe we'll all be healthy for awhile."

I'm here to warn you: Don't tempt the fates.

Around 10:30 yesterday morning, I took the girls upstairs for their morning naps. As I was coming downstairs to get some work done and spend time with Devin, I misjudged our stairs and took a spill. I slid down a couple of steps (three or four at most) and landed on my bottom without much grace (the virtue, not the child). In the process of doing this, though, I also twisted my right ankle in a way that made it make a crunching noise so loud it echoed.

I yelled. Loudly. Not only out of pain, but out of fear, too. I sat on the stairs and screamed out for a few seconds before I told my very frightened toddler to please bring the me phone. I was panting from the pain and I was very lightheaded, but I managed to call Todd. When he picked up, all I could say was, "Todd, come home. I think I broke my ankle." I hated to look at my ankle, but I did and I was shocked to see how swollen it had gotten so quickly.

My fantastic husband hopped into his car and headed home. At that moment, the phone rang. I saw that it was my friend, Sheena, and I picked it up and told her what was going on. She helped to calm me down and Devin, being the precious little thing that he is, brought me his "boo boo ice pack" from the fridge. I hobbled to one of our living room chairs and sat down. I called my neighbor, Susan, and asked if she could watch the kids while Todd took me to the emergency room. She immediately came over and soon after she arrived, my doorbell rang again. This time, it was my friend Leslie. Leslie had apparently talked to Sheena who had told her what was going on with me. Leslie was in her car, so she rushed over to make sure I was taken care of as I waited for Todd to come home.

You know how I talk all about how I have such incredible friends? This is a perfect example. Susan has three kids, Sheena has three, including a newborn and Leslie has three, also, with a six-month-old. These women are busy with their own lives, but they dropped what they were doing to make sure I was okay. How could I ask for more?

Anyway, Todd got home and we trekked to the emergency room. By the time we got in there, I was feeling pretty sick to my stomach and even a little faint, so I was taken into a room very quickly. Vitals were taken and I was taken in for three x-rays.

Turns out my ankle was not broken, although it was very severly sprained. I was sent home with some Vicodin and a big, ugly brace.

The ankle is still pretty swollen -- in fact, it's more swollen today than it was yesterday. And it hurts pretty badly. I'm a little concerned, truth be told...I've never had a sprain feel this painful.

The weekend goes on from there when we headed to Todd's hometown of Yoakum for their annual Tom-Tom Festival. In my next post, I'll write more about the festival and my not one but two puking incidents in the car ride there.

Sounds like something to really look forward to, huh?

A soap opera. I'm telling you. But you can't make this stuff up...my life is way better than fiction!

Have a great rest of the weekend...

E

5 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Erin,
I found your blog again through other momo mommies and I've just read what you've been going through with your children and now this. You are right, this is better than TV. It's almost unbelievable. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hopes for a painfree/illness/infection free summer.

Laura said...

Erin,
It made my stomach sick to read this post! I am so sorry. I FEEL your pain. I have never sprained my ankle until about a 6 weeks ago and IT HURT!! The doctor told me that it often hurts to sprain your ankle more than breaking it. I believe it. I cried just laying there from the pain! It has taken so much time to heal and I am shocked at how hard it was to get over. I still have to be careful and pay attention to my shoes and cannot wear several kinds. It may be a while before it is normal. Anyway, I know how bad it hurts, how hard it is to be a mommy while you are hurting! I will be thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery. My husband sprained his ankle and while it was more swollen than mine and looked a lot worse- mine was harder to heal. I had a high ankle sprain so it took weeks and even now is not better. He was better in just weeks. Wishing that will be the case for you! ((HUGS))

keblake said...

This could only happen to you Devins. God love ya. BTW-- a gal I work with has been to Yoakum the last couple of weekends for rodeos and such. I can't believe I can actually say-- I know that place!! Hang in there girl!

Doug & Stacy Fournier said...

Erin,
I am so sorry about your ankle! When it rains, it really does pour, huh? I hope for a very speedy recovery for you! I sprained my ankle once in high school while playing volleyball, the doc told me the same thing ~ it hurts worse to sprain your ankle then it does to actually break it. thanks God that has been my only experience. What great friends you have, i wish i only had one friend like that and you have 3!!! WOW!! anyway, i will be praying for your recovery!

Susan NiƱo said...

If I had known about this..I would have loaded up my single child and been over to your house.....so next time something crazy happens, call me sister!