Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Rest of the Story

I promised to share the remainder of the my-life-is-better-than-fiction story and here it is.

After we left the ER on Friday, we dropped off my prescription for painkillers. We got home and I realized that I had a painkiller left over from my back problems a couple of months ago, so I took one.

I took a quick nap and we headed out on our way to Yoakum. My foot was hurting pretty badly, so when we picked up my prescription on our way out of San Antonio, I took another pill.

Very, very bad idea.

About 15 miles down the road, I started to feel sick to my stomach. I asked Todd to pull over so that I could get a snack. I figured the medicine wasn't settling well.

I grabbed a bag of Chex Mix and we were on our way.

But the nausea only got worse. And worse. And worse. And...

Urp.

I threw up all over the car. I had a bag to puke into, but I mostly missed and it went all over the car and me. Todd pulled to the side of the road and I hopped out and cleaned up using just about every baby wipe I could find. Todd fished another t-shirt out of the back of the van and after I changed in what may have been the nastiest bathroom ever, we were on our way.

I was feeling much better and even sipped on water. But soon, the waves came again. This time, though, it was much worse. It was like I was as drunk as I've ever been. The ground felt as though it was heaving around me and throwing me from side to side. I couldn't even sit up straight and closing my eyes helped momentarily, but soon gave way to the feeling of being tossed around on a ship in a storm.

We pulled onto the two-lane highway that we take into Yoakum as I tried to keep another round of puking at bay. It wasn't meant to be and this time, the puke came fast and furiously. I didn't even have time to grab a bag. I just motioned for Todd to pull over and roll down the window.

So there I was, at 65 miles an hour, throwing up out the passenger's side window of our Kia minivan.

Of course, at that rate of speed, the projectile does not go straight down, but rather back -- and that means a completely redecorated automobile exterior.

Luckily, that was the end of the vomitting, although we all needed a shower when we got to Todd's parents' house since some of the puke also came into the window and slapped the whole family in their respective faces.

What's the moral in all of this? Narcotic-based painkillers are easy to over-dose on. Take it from me -- you don't want do to this.

The rest of our weekend was good. We saw the Yoakum Tom-Tom parade on Saturday morning and on Saturday afternoon, we went to the festival where we looked at vintage cars, watched weiner dog races and played on the playground. Todd even judged a pork bbq contest!

We headed home on Saturday night and had a nice, relaxing rest of the weekend. So far, so good and no ODing of any kind.

Here are a couple of photos we had done of the kiddos recently. Faith is on the left and Grace is on the right in both photos.

Enjoy!

Me





4 comments:

Susan NiƱo said...

Yucky sister friend. Reminds me of being pregnant. Throwing up for 25 weeks. And you said nothing today when I spoke with you on the phone. Silly girl... The pics of the kiddos are great! Portrait Innovations? I think I recognize that white, wicker chair. :-)

Claremont First Ward said...

First of all, GREAT portraits. Is it me, or is Grace bigger than Faith? Love their straight faces in the second picture!

Secondly......holy cow. Can you even stand to be in your van anymore? I puked all over my car once when I was pregnant with #2 and even after being detailed I'd get a whiff now and then that almost made me do it again! ha ha. Poor, poor, you! I'm glad you're feeling better and that you haven't redecorated any rooms in your house with the same motif! :)

Laura said...

Oh my Erin,
I am so sorry you had to go through that. On the bright side, it makes quite an unforgettable story! I have thrown up is so many horrible embarrasing places from morning sickness I can totally relate. You still take the prize on this one! There is little you can do when its coming fast!
The pictures are so adorable! My girls won't sit still for pictures at this age. Enjoy this stage and make sure to take a lot of pictures. Soon they will be running so fast you will just catch a blur. Actually its the portraits that really are impossible. I can take my own candids o.k.
How's the foot? Hope you are doing better.

Doug & Stacy Fournier said...

WOW, those pictures are adorable!!! the girls are getting soo big!

i'm so sorry you had such a bad experience driving! i have only thrown up maybe 5 times my whole life, i couldn't imagine doing it in my vehicle though. i hope you are feeling better and your ankle is healing nicely!