Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Only Thing You Can Count On Is Change...

We have lived in our house now for just over five years. We love this house, although we know that one day we'll have to move. We need another room (or study), a game room and another bathroom.

But because we like this house so much, we want to stay here as long as possible. Also, we have a ridiculously cheap mortgage that makes moving very, very hard.

Most of the stuff we love is downstairs -- hardwood floors, travertine backsplash in the kitchen, custom crown moulding, custom lighting, floor-to-ceiling windows, etc. The downstairs is very pretty (at least in our opinions), if not a little bit small.

The upstairs, though... Well, that's another story.

As you know, Todd is a fantastic artist and have given our kids some beautiful custom-painted room, like the girls' Tinkerbell room and Devin's Hot Wheels room. The kids' bathroom is a fun mix of pink flowers and blue bubbles and different hook for each of their towels, above which are their names. It even says, "It's Soapy Shower Time!" above the shower -- a favorite bathtime song in the Pruetz house.

The guestroom is in pretty good shape too. Done in pink and brown, it's a little bit retro and a little bit modern all together. It's not fabulous, but it's fun, and, heck...it's a guest room!

So really, all that leaves us is our bedroom.

When bought this house from the original owners, we fell in love with all of the custom work in the house, especially in the master bedroom. The female half of the couple who owned this house before us was quite the crafty one and she put a lot of work into the master suite.

The bedroom is done with a faux finish to look like stone, with an ornate, gothic-style red stenciling around the top. It's striking and beautiful. I'm not one for stencil, because I often associate it with "country" style homes, which just isn't my style, but this is so much different. I've really enjoyed it.



The stenciling in the bedroom



Close-up of bedroom stenciling



About two years into living here, as we were lying in bed, watching TV one night, Todd announced to me that there was a Devil's face in the stenciling, where the corners met. After sitting, staring at it for a moment or two, I saw what he saw. Since then, I've laid in bed every night, thinking, "Satan is watching me." It's the stuff nightmares are made of...
*Hint: Click on the picture to enlarge it -- it's easier to see the face*


The bathroom was spectacular, too. She'd used a similar stencil and stenciled a floor-to-ceiling pattern onto the walls. Now we have a 200-square-feet-plus bathroom with 12-foot-ceilings, so this was no easy task. After stencling hundreds of pieces over and over and over again, she antiqued it. The result was a pattern that looked like wallpaper, but was hand-done. A piece of work, although not exactly our style.


It's not a perfect view, but hopefully you can get the gist of how much work went into the paint treatment in our bathroom


For the first couple of years of living here, we really didn't want paint over this masterpiece, but as time wore on and the house started needing more and more work, we decided we'd just completely redo the bedroom and bathroom.

So, along with a few other projects around the house, this week will be home renovation week at the Pruetz residence. In the bathroom, we are pulling up the carpet (who the heck puts carpeting in a bathroom???), putting down mosaic tile, painting, framing the wall-to-wall mirror, adding new window treatments and new hardware.

We're not doing quite so much in the bedroom, as we pretty much like it the way it is. I am done with the stenciling, so we'll be painting in there and, eventually, adding in hardwood floors.

Both rooms will be a butter yellow color with black and red accents. Sounds a little garish, I know, but when done correctly (which I hope we're doing!), I think it will be very striking. We already have the red window treatments in the bedroom and will be investing in a couple of matching ones in the bathroom. We want both rooms to have similar decor so that they act together as a "suite" instead of as two separate rooms.

In order to pay homage to the previous owners' very hard work, I've taken some "before" photos of our bedroom and bathroom.

(Note: We are having some work done in our closet, too, for which we had to completely clear all of our clothes, shoes and other stuff out. Most of it is in our bathroom, on the floor. I tried to keep most of it out of the photos, but the stuff made it into a couple of pictures. Just didn't want you to think I'm a total slob. The truth is, I'm only a partial slob, than-you-very-much. :)


The bathroom, pre-priming



I'm not proud to admit this, but I'm the reason that our carpeting looks this way. Makeup, hair color (I don't mind telling people that I'm gray, but showing them is a whole other story), and other products have contributed to this carpet's demise.



The shower and the double doors leading into our bedroom



The double doors that lead into our closet


So yesterday was spent looking at paint samples, pricing tile, and purchasing the "stuff" we'll need to get the job done. We have a handyman doing our tile, but the rest we're doing ourselves. I don't like giving up control.

After we finally settled on what we wanted, we got everything purchased and came home. I started priming this morning, and here are the first in a series of "in the process" photos.


Not a fantastic photo, but you can see that the stenciling has been primed over



Wow...that's a lot of white


So it sounds like it's all going smoothly, right? Wrong.

Yesterday was not without incident. After putting the girls to bed at 5:30 p.m. Friday night (they were inconsolable and exhausted from missing their afternoon nap), I figured they'd be up early on Saturday morning.

Oddly, at 9:00, they were both asleep. I started to worry around 9:30, and went to check on them. Grace was quietly laying in her crib, eyes open, while Faith slept quietly on the other side of the room. I got Gracie up and dressed and took her downstairs. After she'd eaten, I decided that Faith really needed to get up.

When I went to her room, she was also lying quietly in her crib, wide awake.

But when I reached for her, I could feel her radiating heat. She was burning up.

Sure enough, 102.2 fever. We gave her Tylenol and breakfast and went on our merry way to Home Depot and tile stores (definitely contenders for "Parents of the Year."). Faith's fever was back by the time we returned and after she wouldn't eat lunch, I decided to take her to the after-hours pediatrician down the street.

Like clockwork, it's an ear infection. Tubes here we come.

Needless to say, the girls both went down early last night (6:30 ish) and before I went to bed, I decided to check on them. I never go into their room while they are sleeping, as they are such light sleepers that I risk waking one or both up. But I couldn't resist -- I really wanted to check on Faitharoo.

Boy am I glad I did.

I went into the room and peeked at Faith. In a deep sleep, snoring lightly.

Then to Grace, who was wide awake and lying on her back. When she saw me, she rolled over and stuck her little bare bottom up in the air.

WAIT A SECOND. Bare bottom?

The kid had taken off her diaper and thrown it over the side of the crib. Devin never did this and I was astounded to see such I sight. Todd was already asleep, but I woke him up to see it. He laughed and laughed and held Gracie Too while I changed her sheets (because, of course...she tinkled in her bed).

Give me strength...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see the Devil's face...scary sister! Oh the joys of rennovating and changing your house. Tell James I am going to be calling him again soon for some work around my house! I am sorry to hear about another ear infection. Poor baby girl! Paul sends hugs and kisses to everyone in the Pruetz home.

Laura said...

This post had me laughing!
1-I can totally see the devil's face and its wierd!
2-I can totally relate to the naked baby without her diaper discover. Watch out for your future!

We remodeled our kitchen and entry when the twins were one. It went really bad. The cabinet guy ran off with our money and it took another month to get new ones made! We were without a kitchen sink for two months with four children, two under one! It was crazy!!!

I am sorry to hear about the ear infections! Poor you and poor babies! I hope with tubes they will improve.

keblake said...

The fun never ends over there! I'm redoing the counter tops in my bathrooms in September but someone is getting paid for that project! Hope the girls start to feel better. blake

Anonymous said...

Erin, you are INSANO! A puppy, twins aged one and a 4 year old. WOW!! I am sorry to hear of your ear infection troubles. I hope the tubes help you out. I know you're not looking forward to that. Good luck on the renovating. Tara

Claremont First Ward said...

OK, 3 things are going through my mind. First of all, you totally have a devil's face. Not just kind of, really. That is insane. I wonder if the original owners noticed? Secondly, your girls slept 16 hours straight? NO WAY! I'm sorry to hear about the ear infections though. Ever since I had one as an adult I have so much sympathy for little ones with them. OUCH! And third........well, I can't remember anymore. Go figure!

Casey's trio said...

Crazy devil's face...how weird is that? Looks like you have lots of work ahead of you, but I can't wait to see the after photos!
Love the missing diaper story. Haven't had that happen to us yet, but I do put the girls in onesies at night as an added precaution...they haven't figured out how to unsnap them yet.
Boo-hoo on the ear infection.