Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I'm Rubber, They're Glue

Wait...let me amend that statement. I'm glue and they're even stronger glue.

Lately I have noticed that my kids cannot seem to cope unless they are with me at all times -- and this goes for Devin as well. Whether I am in the kitchen, on the phone, in the bathroom or stepping out on the front porch for a much-needed breath of fresh air, my kids are constantly at my side.

This is especially annoying during meal times (Casey, you're going to have to share those Crock-Pot recipes with me, because I've about had it with dinner time too!), when I'm trying to move between the fridge, the pantry, the oven, the stove, the sink and the island. If the twins aren't each hanging onto my two legs, then they are going through the Tupperware cabinet and pulling out every piece of plastic I own. Normally, I don't mind this, as it keeps them entertained, but when the oven is at 400 degrees and I've got boiling water going on the stove, it's just not a good time to create an obstacle course.

And why is it that I can't so much as walk into another room when I'm on the phone? They follow me no matter where I go and if happen to lock the door (such as my few-and-far-between potty breaks), they scream and cry until I let them in our I come out.

I know this is every mom's complaint. I can just hear my Aunt Shirley in Kentucky laughing about how this would happen to her and her five kids who were spaced awfully close together. And I know it will be worth laughing at in years to come.

But for now, this is my reality and I still dread trying to get anything done, as I know I will be pulled in a hundred directions and whatever task I have at hand will take ten times longer than it should have.

'Tis the season, huh?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin, This too shall pass! Keep reminding yourself....use it as your mantra :) love, Tara

Susan NiƱo said...

Shoot-if you were MY Mommy..I would stick to you too..sweet thing!

Claremont First Ward said...

Even knowing it will pass, doesn't make it less painful. I have one of two extremes. Yours, or the opposite where all the kids scatter and what I'll find when I'm done is always a surprise, just not always a pleasant one! :)

Alicia said...

I hear ya, sista!!
The tupperware and the dinnertime obstacle course are a daily PITA for me.
The crock pot is my friend. Actually, as I sit here finally eating my lunch, I have a Cuban black bean soup crocking at this very moment. If it is any good I'll pass the recipe to you. Also, if you're a pot-roast kind of girl, I have a crock pot recipe for the best pot roast I've ever had.

:)
Alicia

Laura said...

Erin,
I am dealing with this too! It's so hard to get anything done when you are in such high demand and honestly it does get annoying (sorry kidlets).

Can you email me I need a favor from you...

Anonymous said...

I so get it-- it's like that with every kid I come across. Eventually they get tired and find hobbies to entertain them. blake

Casey's trio said...

Give me your email address and I will send you the crockpot recipes people gave me! I totally feel your pain.