Friday, February 08, 2008

My Mom -- Molly Devins

I'm not sure what prompted all of this, but this morning my mom has been on my mind more so than usual. We're not near the anniversary of her death and we're still more than six weeks from her birthday. Maybe it's the beautiful weather or my conversation about the beach yesterday -- or maybe she's just placing herself near me today. Regardless, something has put her at the forefront of my mind today.

In my thoughts and recollections of her, though, I realized that I've never really posted about my mom. I've mentioned her here and there, but never really described her or went into my memories of her.

My mom was fantastic. She was a fun, vivacious woman who was as proper as the South is warm, but could drink a beer and act silly with the best of us. She couldn't tell a joke to save her life, but would pick up a banana and be "talking" on it whenever ZZ or I brought a friend home -- just to get a rise out of us. She obnoxiously sang to us in the morning, but also gave good back scratches while we were still in bed, "just to get the blood flowing."

Mom insisted on a good breakfast every morning and wouldn't let us do our homework as soon as we got home...she believed we needed some "down time" after a long day at school.

My mom was devoted to my dad and lived for my sister and me. She took on roles in the community that she truly hated, but did so for the betterment of my sister and me. She sat through countless gymnastics, ballet, jazz, tap and piano lessons and attended basketball games, swimming and diving meets, as well as school plays and vocal recitals. Mom tirelessly drove ZZ and me to friends' houses, birthday parties and social events without ever once asking when it was her turn to have a social life.

My mom would welcome anyone into our house at any time. Friends learned quickly that if you "coincidentally" showed up at our house around 6:30 pm, you'd be invited in for dinner.

Mom was also as strong as an ox. Back in the 1950s, before it was known how bad cigarettes are for you, she took up smoking. Like anyone else, she was hooked and didn't want to give up the habit. However, as my sister and I matured and started to understand about drugs, alcohol and cigarettes, my mom put her foot down and quit smoking. Cold turkey. After more than 20 years.

Mom's favorite place on earth was our vacation house in Crystal Beach, Texas. The beach was magical to her and she passed that same feeling along to me, my sister and even my Kentucky-born dad. She was close to her parents and made sure that ZZ and I forged the same close-knit relationships with her mother and father, better known as Nana and Poppa to us. She valued family and made it her goal every day to make sure our family was a fortress of love, commitment and trust. She succeeded greatly.

On September 9, 2003, before Devin was even two months old, my mom passed away. She had battled Alzheimer's Disease for nearly ten years and bravely stood in the face of her diagnosis, wondering what would happen to her husband and kids, never once asking, "Why me?" She was selfless, right up to the end.

Letting mom go was hard, but after seeing her suffering for so many years, it was a relief to know that she was finally out of the pain and confusion that had become her prison.

Life goes on. We've all learned to go on without mom, while keeping her memory alive in our hearts. My dad has remarried, to a woman who truly rounds out our family. She's never tried to replace mom, but rather fill a void. It's a thin line to walk, without wobbling from side-to-side, but my stepmom Jean has done an incredible job.

ZZ and I both had to learn, years ago, how to make do without our mom. It strengthened our bonds with one another, as well as with our dad. The three of us hold a bond that no one could ever break. Every cloud has a silver lining, and the cloud of my mom's passing is lined by the silver strokes of my very strong and bonded family.

I miss my mom every day. I regret that she was not able to attend my wedding, or ever really "meet" Todd (she technically met him, but was already living in an assisted living home when he and I began dating). I hate that she never had the opportunity to know any of her seven grandchildren, including two sets of twins. I hate the she and my dad didn't get to retire to Galveston or see the world like they had always planned. I hate that her life was cut short by such a meaningless disease.

But I love my mom. I always will. The death of her body means nothing, as her soul continues to live on in heaven and in our hearts. I can feel her near me and I know she is a guardian to me, my kids and my entire extended family. I know she is proud of me, proud of ZZ, proud of Dad. I know she approves of Jean and is reunited with her mom and dad. And I know that one day, I will see her again.

Molly Myers Devins
March 30, 1944 - September 9, 2003



As a baby










As a toddler












Mom's first car was a Jeep. ZZ and I both learned to drive on this Jeep and many years later, my Grandfather restored it and gave it to me. It was painted blue and white and I called it, "The Blue Angel."




Mom and Dad on their wedding day, August 19, 1967








My Disney problem started a long time ago








I was a little scared of Santa, but Mom came to my rescue











The Devins family, at our favorite destination on Earth








Mom, me, ZZ with our grandparents, Nana and Poppa







Mom and me on my First Communion day









My family in London, June, 1994








Dad, Mom and me at a New Year's Eve party, December 31, 1997







My mom

6 comments:

Meg said...

What a touching tribute to a one-of-a-kind lady. Erin, you're an amazing writer and able to express your feelings with such heart-felt clarity. I'm sure your mom is smiling down on you today. (That's one of the things I remember best about your mom -- her contagious smile!)

Bridget said...

I miss your mom. I loved looking at these photos and remembering what a wonderful woman she was! Remember the phone call w/ her and my dad? Priceless!

Claremont First Ward said...

Erin,
I had chills while reading this. It's absolutely beautiful. She sounds like such a wonderful woman.....it's not surprising you are her daughter. The picture of her as a toddler is LITERALLY one of the cutest pictures I've EVER seen.

Susan NiƱo said...

OMG---lovely post Erin! And that picture of your Mom as a toddler---Mollie Kaelin (KK) looks JUST like that---and I see Grace and Faith in that picture too! Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

This post was so touching. I am so glad you shared your mom with us. It was so inspiring. She should be remembered and her story should be told. The pictures are truly fabulous. I loved the toddler one too. What a great woman. She would be so proud of you.

Anne said...

Erin-

What a wonderful post. I have tears in my eyes...and remember your mom with such fondness! She ALWAYS had a smile when I came over, and she was such a lovely lady! What a blessing that you remember her with such clarity, and can verbalize it in a way that makes me remember her so well also! Fu