Tuesday, June 13, 2006

June 13, 2006

Now I'm not sure why so many of you are out to see me look like a doofus in a minivan, but my last post received more comments and emails than any other of my 42 posts to this blog. May I remind you that this blog is about my ridiculous pregnancy and the two beautiful girls who miraculously made it -- not, "Oh gee, Erin has to buy a minivan...let's all poke fun at her!" Remember, I have a lot of dirty secrets on most of you and I'm not afraid to use them.

*Big Smile*

All kidding aside...

Things are still going well in the lives of the Pruetz twins. When I went to see the girls yesterday, Faith had been placed in an open crib. Finally, I had "access" to both of my girls, without having to carefully slide them out of the isolette, wrap them up and swaddle them tightly just to hold them. I could just pick them up and snuggle them right there. I was so proud of her!

This morning, though, when I walked into the blue room, the nurse said, "Oh -- the girls are in the NICU annex!"

Apparently, there are so many babies in Methodist's NICU that they had to create an "annex" on the third floor. It's an overflow room for the blue room, but only the wellest-of-the-well babies from the blue room get to go. It's not really a step up from the blue room, but rather just a separate area. But since it's two floors away, they only take the babies who are doing exceptionally. It's the same level of monitoring and such.

So I trekked through three buildings (Methodist is four hospitals in one -- medical, heart, women's and children's) and up two floors and found my way to the annex. Turns out, it's really just a large patient room that they put babies in. Only six at a time can be held in the annex.

The girls were immediately inside the door, next to the window (a room with a view!), but I was surprised to see that they were in one crib! Finally, after 25 days, they have been reunited! I have to admit -- I got a little teary-eyed when I saw them together again.

I have heard, over and over again, how multiples do better when they co-bed, because they like being near one another. I never put much stock into it, truthfully. I really thought it couldn't make that much of a difference.

But they were sleeping so soundly! Fluke? Maybe.

So I picked Grace up to start feeding her and sat down in a chair just next to their crib. She began to wake up and as she did, so did Faith. In fact, Faith started to howl after a few minutes. I thought, "Certainly she's not crying for Gracie." The nurse did what she could to calm her down, including changing her diaper and rocking her for a few minutes. She calmed down mostly, but laid in the crib, fully awake for the next 20 minutes or so.

After my time with Grace, I put her down in the crib and picked up Faith. Sure enough, as soon as I did, Grace started to ootch around and cry out. She wasn't happy to be alone, either.

I spent a good hour with Faith and then put her back next to her still-awake sister. I put them a few inches apart, but within seconds, they had snuggled up to one another and had both peacefully fallen asleep.

It was incredible -- they really do sleep better together. It was adorable.

I've held my two girls at the same time a couple of times now and have gotten to see them together. But each time I hold them at the same time, I end up with one in the crook of one arm and one in the crook of the other. So trying to see both of their faces at the same time is nearly impossible. I had to turn my head to see one or the other.

But today, as they were lying there together (both in the same position), I got my first real look at my twin girls. They still don't look identical to me, but they are twins for sure. Their noses are exactly the same. So are their chins and eyes. Faith's face is longer and thinner while Gracie has a rounder shape to hers.

But regardless of how identical they are, they are gorgeous. My heart just sang when I saw their faces there together. It was a moment I'll certainly never forget. I could hardly pry myself away from the sight of them.

I'm going back up tonight, with a camera. I'll be sure to take photos and post them here.

Peace,
E

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't want it to be all about the mini-van. . . Glad to hear the girls are doing well and that they are together. Can't wait to see pics!! Blake (I really can't wait to see pics of them in the mini-van)