Monday, June 19, 2006

June 19, 2006 Continued

Usually, if I update a date, I do it under the same blog date, but this time I decided I would stray from the norm because I have extra-special great news: The girls are coming home!

As is my usual custom, I went to the hospital around 9:00 today. I got there a little late and the girls had taken their feedings already. I was a little disappointed that I had missed being there for the feedings, but the nurse said, "Well -- they are on all feedings by mouth now, so there are a lot of opportunities."

I was thrilled to hear that -- all meals by mouth is one step closer to home! My friend Linda was with me and I turned to her and said, "That's the last step out the door!"

The nurse said, "Oh yes, you're close. In fact, they are on ad-lib feedings (which means that they can have as much as they want) The nurse-practitioner wants to talk with you."

Sure enough, in walked the N-P, Jane, and she said, "Both girls are doing so well. We'd like them to take their feedings by mouth for a few days and make sure they gain weight. If all goes well, they could be home by the end of this week, at the earliest. Early next week is probably the best estimate though. We'll need you to bring in their car seats so we can do a car seat study on each of them."

You all have no idea what hearing this did to me. For a month now, I have been picking up on cues as to what will be said when they are getting closer to home. I knew that they would be on all feedings by mouth (no feeding tube), would be asked to do a car seat study (to make sure they "fit" in the car seat, despite their tiny sizes, and don't have any fluctuations in their vital signs) and would have ad-lib feedings. To think that I heard all of those things in one day -- it just blows my mind. My girls will likely be home in a week. Together.

My eyes welled up with tears right there in the NICU Annex. It was so emotional. I just can't believe that we're to this point. They are such fighters and so strong. And soon, they'll be here for me to hold and love all day long. It's almost more than I can fathom.

More as it comes... :)

E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such great news!!!! I'm so glad to hear the girls are doing so well. When I'm right Devins, I'm right! They are miracles. Blake

Meg said...

THIS IS AWESOME!!! We're so excited your girls will soon be coming home, Erin & Todd. Travis did the car seat test too -- we panicked because it was the night before Thanksgiving & what baby supply store would be open at that time if he was too small?!? You guys will be in great shape, and your girls will soon enjoy a ride in their spiffy new Kia!! YEAH!! Big hugs to you all. :)