Monday, January 14, 2008

A Perfect Explanation

I started this blog more than two years ago, in the hopes of documenting my pregnancy and subsequent journey into becoming a mommy of two. I did it mostly for my own memories, sharing the address with friends and family, but never expecting to make my blog a major, public deal.

That all changed, though, when we found out we were having twins and especially when we found out that the girls were Monoamniotic -- a rare condition that affects only 1% of all identical twin pregnancies. According to one of my doctors, if you put four OB/GYNs in a room (or is that a row boat? Wait -- it's a room. This isn't a joke), each with 25 years of experience, statistically none of them will have ever seen a patient with Monoamniotic twins. It's just that rare.

This blog became an excellent way of letting loved ones know about what was going on without having to rehash the details over and over again (and thus sending me into a fit of tears). The blog has since evolved into my diary about my family and the ins and outs of our lives.

Friend, mom of Mo/Mos and fellow blogger, Laura, recently created a post recalling her experiences during her pregnancy with her twin girls. Like me, her experience is never far away from her mind and each time she sees her twins, she sees an extraordinary set of miracles.

Her post regarding her Mo/Mo pregnancy was so well-written and such a good explanation of her situation, I just had to post a link to it. This is great reading for anyone who is new to my blog and wants the basics of what a Mo/Mo pregnancy is about without having to read two years worth of posts from me, or for anyone who never quite got the full understanding of why I was hospitalized for nearly six weeks, why my babies were forced to be born no later than 32 weeks and why they still struggle today with respiratory and growth issues.

Thank you, Laura, for taking the time to write such a thoughtful explanation of the condition and your experience with it.

An Explanation of Monoamniotic Twins

No comments: