Friday, May 02, 2008

First Haircuts -- Goodbye Mullets!

Today I took the twins for their very first haircuts. Since they were as bald as eggs until after they turned one, I've been waiting for this for a long time. Over the last 12 months, their wispy, fine hair has grown little by little, but I've resisted the urge to cut it, knowing that the longer I waited, the better off they would be.

Well this week, I just couldn't take it any longer. The girls had both developed major mullets and I could no longer stand looking at my daughters, picturing them driving El Caminos and drinking Nattie Light. Something had to be done.

So Devin and I took the girls to Cool Cuts 4 Kids, one of those salons that caters to toddlers and young kids, keeping them busy with TVs at each station, toys, movies and video games.

After a short wait, Faith was up. She sat right in the chair, didn't make any sort of fuss as the cloth was draped around her shoulders and sat perfectly still as her hair was straightened up and styled in a cute little bob. She was topped off with a little red bow to match her dress and I was given a lock of her hair and a photograph of her sitting in the chair (well...the fire truck, as it were), all in a handy-dandy little folder.

Knowing that I would never get this lucky again, I plucked Grace away from all of the toys and sat her in the fire truck. Sure enough, the tears began to flow. I dug a lollipop out of my purse (placed there just for this occasion), and while she held onto the confection for dear life, she didn't actually suck on it until after she was out of the chair.

My poor little girl just sat and cried the whole time. Oddly enough, though, she didn't squirm. She literally just sat and cried. It was as if she knew that she needed to sit still or was going to be getting a lot of funny looks for the next few weeks. So, despite the wailing, she really did just as well as Faith had done.

Soon enough, Gracie was done, too, sporting a white bow and I got a little folder with her picture and a lock of her hair as well. Devin got his first haircut at the same place (at eight months old!), so now we have a matched set of these little keepsakes.

Afterwards, we went next door to Target where the girls were obviously very happy with their cuts. They were strutting their stuff like two little proud peacocks. Mommy was pretty happy, too. :)

Here are some pictures from our first salon adventure.


The before: Mullet city



Faith patiently waits as she gets a new 'do



Grace managed to scream and sit still at the same time



Afterwards - Faith is in red, Grace is in green



And here is a bonus shot of Faith throwing a fit at lunch today. The best part is how Grace is reacting

3 comments:

Laura said...

I love the hair cuts! I also love the last picture with the plugged ears. My girls have done that too. Twins learn how to deal. Too funny.

Bridget said...

So cute! Can't wait to see them again!!

Casey's trio said...

I took my girls to the same place for their first cuts! I've been too cheap to take them back since and trim their bangs myself. I need to take them back and get the back trimmed up! Your girls look SO cute. And I love the last picture. It brings me great comfort to know other moms have food splattered on the wall and floor by the highchairs!

BTW, I received your card this week. Thanks again. I'm a happy girl and plan to download some music during naptime tomorrow!