Friday, May 30, 2008

Obsessing... Again.

By now, you all have probably figured out that I obsess. It could be about events or a meal or what I'm going to say to so-and-so or... The list goes on and on. It's a part of my personality that I just like to classify as "quirky."

Of course, "quirky," is really just code language for "annoying."

But I digress.

Anyway, this time around, I am obsessing about today's release of Sex and the City: The Movie.

Now I have to give you a bit of background here. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am pretty conservative about this, er...topic. I like a good joke about sex and can talk about it ad nauseam with my girlfriends, but promiscuity and casual sex are just not things I've ever been able to understand.

So it's a little surprising that I would like the show "Sex and the City" so much, but the truth is, I do.

Maybe it's because I have been blessed with some incredible girlfriends who have seen me through the toughest, roughest and loneliest times in my life. I have found friends in places I never knew I had them and have been disappointed and betrayed by women who I thought would never leave my side. During the highlights and the lowlights of my life, my girlfriends (even the ones to whom I no longer speak) have seen me through. I hope that they all feel the same way.

So "Sex and the City" is a good reminder of how powerful female relationships can be and it draws me in.

I'd be lying if I didn't say, though, that Carrie's relationship with Big, Charlotte's quest for a baby, Miranda's struggle between family and career and Samantha's all-around over-the-top personality don't draw me in. They do.

So the movie, a continuation of the show that ended four years ago, opens today and I am ecstatic to see it. I am going with my three best friends (think of us as the married, conservative, Catholic versions of the four women in the movie) and can't wait.

And when I say I can't wait, I mean I can't wait. I've been looking at spoilers all morning, trying to get a grasp on what happens. Does Carrie marry Big? Does Charlotte really get pregnant after adopting a baby? Are Samantha and Smith still together? Inquiring minds want to know!

As I was reading through speculation upon speculation, there was some talk of the ultimate loss: death. Apparently, there is a rumor that Big dies on he and Carrie's wedding day. Could it be? Holy smokes! That's terrible! He's smarmy and gross and self-centered, but what would SATC be without Mr. Big???

There's talk about Steve's mother dying, about infidelity and about Samantha moving to Los Angeles. Los Angeles? How could SATC take place in any city other than New York?

So here I sit, reading spoilers and speculations, wondering how I am ever going to make it to Sunday afternoon before I get to see this movie.

Is anyone else sitting in their living room, stewing over what may or may not happen? Drop me a comment if you are! Misery loves company!

And one last thing

I don't have HBO. I have never had HBO, so the SATC episodes that I watch are the very watered-down versions on TBS. I've never seen an un-edited episode of SATC and I have to wonder how I am going to react to what I am sure will be pretty explicit scenes. Who knows? I may end up hating it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin! If I can get a babysitter for tomorrow night, I'm heading to SATC with a few friends!! I can't imagine what could happen in the movie....all I know is I'm looking very forward to seeing what transpires in the land of sex...and the city.(I have every season on dvd if you're interested!).
Enjoy the movie! We'll chat soon!
xo Sara

Claremont First Ward said...

D0 you know that I've never even seen 5 minutes of a watered down version of SATC? Have fun tonight......how wonderful that you have such a great group of friends to support you and to have fun with.

Jocasta said...

I'm looking forward to it as well - not open here yet. I'm thinking of forking out for the cine-lounge. Big chairs, as much popcorn as you can eat and chair side service!

I didn't even know you could have a watered down version. Let us know if the real thing is different!

keblake said...

Well my friend, I saw it yesterday afternoon and thought it was fabulous! Now, I am one of your friends that has no problem with casual sex and am much more liberal on that part of life, but I think you will too. Having said that, I like the HBO ones better- juicy stuff!-- but watered down gets the point across. So, be sure you drink a cosmo in honor of the four women and enjoy!!!!! blake

Plus 3 said...

Like you, I've only seen the watered-down versions on TBS, and sometimes those even make me uncomfortable (also nervous if I will like the movie), but I'm anxious to see the movie too! I have to wait even longer, though! I also have 3 girlfriends (married, conservative, and Christian) that I'm going to see it with. One of them lives out of town, so it will be the middle of next week before I get to see it! What we will do for our friends! I'm anxious to see if you enjoy the movie! Seems like we have similar views about SATC!

Anonymous said...

LOVED IT! I had never seen even part of a watered down version and that's not a problem if you watch the movie. It was good. I was sappy over their close friendships and un-ending commitment to each other. I won't spoil any of it, but it was fun and I'm glad I went with my friends. Would have been fun to see it with you though :)- Tara

Casey's trio said...

Yep, I was a fan of the HBO series but wasn't all that excited about the movie until I saw the cast on Oprah...and then I remembered how much I loved watching it every week. I do want to see it, but I know I won't get to it anytime soon and by then all the info will be out on how it ends!

Alicia said...

I saw it last night. I really loved it. It's not all light and feel-good though, I'll warn ya. Also, I'll warn ya that there are lots of ummm . . . boobs. And lots of ummmm . . . booties. And plenty of ummm. . . vividly portrayed recreational activities of the adult variety. :)