Wednesday, August 16, 2006

August 16, 2006

Devin's Doozie

Boy do I have a good one for today. In fact, barring any future ridiculous words coming out of my son's mouth, this one may take the cake as the funniest of all toddler sayings.

But first, you'll need some background.

Recently, we've had a lot of talk of Jesus in our house. We try to talk often about God and Jesus and the very basics of Catholicsm and Christianity, but in recent days, there's been more talk than usual, due to the girls' Baptism. We've talked about Jesus' love for us and how the girls were Baptised into His church just like Devin was when he was a baby. He's very interested in it all.

There's also been a lot of talk about weddings lately. I recently pulled out our wedding album and Devin is very taken with the special clothes and food and flowers and such. He's commented on the tuxedos, the bridesmaids dresses, the flower girls' dresses and my wedding dress.

Finally, Aunt Jill was in town last night. Jill is Todd's sister who is a professor of Anthropology at Iowa State University. She spends half of her time teaching Anthropology up North and the other half of her time teaching a field school in Senegal in Western Africa. Needless to say, we don't get to see her very often and when she is in town, it's a big deal. Devin just loves her (we all do!) and he had a great time playing with her last night. After spending the summer in Senegal, she's headed back to Ames, Iowa today to start the fall semester.

Okay, all of that being said, I can get on with the story.

Devin took a shower with me this morning -- it's his new ritual. When we got out, I wrapped my towel around me in the usual female fashion: under the arms, covering from underneath my shoulders down to above my knees. Devin asked if he could please have a towel wrapped around him in the same fashion.

So I grabbed Todd's towel and did the same for the munchkin. He took one look at himself and said, "It's like a wedding dress!" I agreed and we talked for a minute about weddings. I asked him who mommy is married to. His answer was pricesless:

Aunt Jesus

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this all just part of your plan to make your son a future Pope . . . tell me wrong Erin, I dare you. Blake

The Pruetz Family said...

Hey -- I have been upfront since before Devin was born that he will be Pope Devin I. I won't lie here. My kid will be the Pope! (I'll settle for a priest, though). :)