Thursday, August 17, 2006

August 17, 2006

Extolling the virtues of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser


It happened again. My wonderfully talented and artistic son took ink to furniture this morning. This time it was indellible marker (not a Sharpie, but one of those big, round, encased-in-aluminum markers with big, fat, felt tips -- you know, the ones you can smell from a mile away) on my mother's antique hutch. I have a number of things of my mom's since her death in 2003, but this hutch is my favorite. It was one of her favorites, too, as it always held antique family photos and knick-knacks. I used to love to open the glass doors and look at the pictures of my mom and dad as little kids or read my grandmother's diary from the 1930s.

Needless to say, I went berserk. He was sent to his room, while I cried for a few minutes. Then I went upstairs, told him in quite a few loud words why he was in trouble and then took every toy out of his room. Even his rocking horse and pillows went. He's been on his bed now for about an hour and I just served him his lunch of crackers, a slice of American cheese and water. Now it's nap time. I'm not foolin' around here -- he needs to know just how much trouble he is in. I think he's getting the picture.

Once I calmed down, I Googled (as my friend Meg said, "I can't believe Google is a verb!), "Getting marker out of finished furniture," and the first site that came up was Thrifty Fun. I found a posting that said that someone had had a similar experience with their kid and had gotten the ink out with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I had one under my sink downstairs, but thought, "This will never work." But I gave it a shot and wouldn't you know it -- the darn thing worked! Every last bit of ink is gone!

So, for all of you with kids or spouses who act like kids, these things are worth their weight in gold. They clean everything! Run out and buy some today (hint: Target has their own brand for about 50% of the cost) and keep them around for everything from smudges on your floors to ink on your furniture. You won't be disappointed!

E

2 comments:

Meg said...

wow!! that's awesome! i'm so happy to hear it worked. i already have the "mr. clean, mr. clean" jingle in my head from when we were kids! lovely... :)

Meg said...

so, i got a coupon in the mail for this & tried it on my 10 yr old shower & the floor... MAGIC! thanks for introducing me to my new love -- mr. clean (sorry matt!)