Wednesday, August 02, 2006

August 2, 2006

Good morning!

Once again, things are going well here in San Antonio, TX. I took my first real adventure by myself with all three kids on Monday.

After getting up and having breakfast, we all piled into the minivan and headed off to the thriving metropolis of Yoakum, TX where Todd's parents live. The DVD system kept Devin happy for the hour-and-forty-five-minute drive while the twins slept most of the way. We arrived at Grandma and Grandpa's house around 11:30 and had lunch together. Dorothy and Orville spent time cuddling the girls while I enjoyed having people there to give me a break from the constant holding and rocking that I do during the day!

Around 3:30, the girls and I packed it up and headed home, leaving Devin to spend three nights with his grandparents. He wasn't exactly despondent at my leaving. He all but said, "Don't let the door hit you on your way out, Mom." Well, at least I know he's happy and having a good time. I talked to him twice yesterday and he was eager to tell me about their trip to Dairy Queen and how he pet a baby cow at cousin Ronnie's house. Oh the life of a toddler...

So things are relatively quiet around here. The girls are doing well, but have become pretty colicky lately. Around 5:00 each day, the crying starts and it usually doesn't end until 9:00 or 10:00. I hope this phase is over soon...my nerves are pretty frayed!

I got the following email from my high school friend, Christi, last week. I asked her if I could share it on my blog, as I thought it was one of the funniest things I've ever read. She perfectly captured the essense of mommyhood with little ones in tow.

Enjoy!


The life of the our family is hilarious to an outsider and an exercise in humility and futility! Let me tell you what I have done today.

Got up at 6:47 because the 2 year old has somehow gotten into bed with us and now at first light is AWAKE and hungry and wants to watch Dora. All of this is told to me in a loud voice, luckily not quite loud enough to wake the baby. Dodged a bullet, there!

Baby and husband awaken about an hour later.

Baby is handed to me smelly and starving while Mr. Wonderful hops in the shower (hmm, what's a shower? Sounds nice...) Just after one clean bum is managed, I notice a leak from the older child's bum. EEKKK!

Our goal is to hit the gym at 11, so where are my gym things?

Time for baby's cereal and down he goes for a nap at 10 - just enough time to clean up the toys and do last night's dishes. Oh, yeah and get dressed, pack a diaper bag, and a backpack with enough supplies for the childwatch at the Y.

On our way to the Y, the 2 year old thinks it will be fun to change his sippy into a big boy cup and the baby says no thank you to a bottle. The handoff at the Y is good for the baby, but the toddler cannot believe that I would like to get away from him. He cries, I feel bad but leave anyway.

I log into the gym, but find that I have not been there in so long that they have deactivated my settings! Wasn't I just here, oh wait no I wasn't.

But, back on the elliptical since "fat is NOT the new skinny" for fall! It will take 24 hours for the reset. Oh well, I work out anyway managing about 50 mins of cardio before almost collapsing in an unfit heap on the floor.

Home again for lunch and NAP! Today was an excellent nap day for everyone so I have no complaints about that! I love good nap days about as much as Christmas.

AACCCKK. Older child just informed me that baby likes oranges in his hair and is eating Chex mix--is that gagging sounds I hear from living room? Better investigate..

No comments: