Sunday, July 16, 2006

July 16, 2006

It didn't really occur to me to post today. In fact, the day has seemed pretty ordinary to me. Church this morning, come home, have some friends over for a Sunday afternoon bbq, take a rest, have dinner, bathe the kids and relax. Seems like a typical Sunday to me...

I just talked to my dad, though, and as I was going through my day, I realized that this is not really such an ordinary day at all.

First of all, today (or tomorrow, depending on who you ask -- Dr. Harden or Dr. Higby), would have been the girls' due date. If I had gone 40 weeks, they'd just now be arriving. Instead, they were born shy of 32 weeks and yet, are still perfectly healthy young ladies. Two of God's miracles.

But even more profound was Mass today. It was our first church outing with the girls. The doctors recommended that the girls not be taken out in public for a few weeks. We dutifully kept them in, but I asked our pediatrican on Thursday (who is also a personal friend, parishioner and ACTS sister) if we could take the girls to church and she said, "Oh yes...they're free to go wherever!"

So that was it. We planned on 9:00 Mass on Sunday.

And so, we were up and getting ready at 7:00 this morning. We were at church at 8:30 to make sure Devin got a spot in the all-too-crowded nursery and were in the pews at 8:45. As friends and fellow parishioners trickled in, people began to notice Faith and Grace. Lots of hugs, kisses and well-wishes. The couple sitting behind us, who we do not know, both gave us the Sign of Peace at the appropriate time, but along with saying "Peace be with you," also said to us, "And sleep too..." It was great.

It took us a long time to get out of Mass, as we greeted quite a few friends. We finally got into the van and as we were leaving the parking lot, Todd said something so profound.

"This was closure."

That statement rang in my ears all day. This really was closure. In February, our community learned of our devastating diagnosis and began praying for us feverishly. They sat with us as we cried, held our hands during scary doctors' appointments and begged the Lord for mercy. He heard them and He answered our prayers. The girls arrived safely.

But they arrived not without complications. Five weeks in the NICU brought more prayers and offers of help. Friends from all over came to visit and support us. Faith got sick and our community waited with baited breath as they wondered with us if she'd recover or not. Complete strangers who read this blog offered help, advice and love. Phone calls rolled in one after another as friends and family called daily for updates. We were surrounded and found out quickly just who our friends really were.

The girls came home and joy rang out in our house. But again, there were stipulations. Don't take them out in public. Restrict visitors. Don't let anyone touch them. We felt like it would never end.

But finally, today, our girls met the community that brought them here. I believe in God, I believe God and I believe in prayer. My girls are proof that it works.

I know that Faith's and Grace's Baptisms on August 6 will also be a meaningful and faith-filled experience for us ... but today, as we introduced our twins to the men and women who made sure they got here, I felt that same feeling that Todd expressed so perfectly: Closure.

All we can say is thank you...

E

Side Note

I put up a post on Friday afternoon, but then Friday evening added another one. If you haven't read the post from July 14 and/or the one titled, "Urgent Prayer Request," please do so. Once again, my family needs you.

Oh, and Kathie Barrett -- I have your red bowl. If we don't set up a time for me to give it to you soon, I just may keep it, even though I know someone made it for you. It's so pretty and matches my decor perfectly! :) I may be persuaded to give it back in exchange for the recipe of the chicken-pasta salad that Charlie made to fill it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»