Wednesday, July 26, 2006

July 26, 2006

This may be an all-time low for me. Ten days since my last post. Ugh. I'm so ashamed.

Just like all of my other too-long-in-between posts, my lack of information is due to lack of information. Things are going along just swimmingly around here with no real news.

The girls are doing great. They had their two-month check-up last Friday and Faith weighed in at 7 lbs, with Grace weighing a whopping 7.5 lbs. They weigh more now than Devin did when he was born! I'm very proud!

Both are experiencing a little bit of reflux that is causing them to spit up and cry after just about every meal. Fantastic. They are on reflux medication and are having Upper GIs done tommorrow morning just to check and make sure it's not something caused by an anatomical defect. I'm not worried.

The past two weeks have been tough, though. I'm starting to get a little stir-crazy around here. All day long, I either have someone crying for me or whining at me. I rarely get more than 15 minutes of silence (that's total, not at a time) and by the end of the day, I'm ready to pull my hair out. I don't see Todd very often, as all of our time in the evenings is spent tag-teaming with the girls while getting Devin ready for bed and getting them bathed. It usually takes from around 5:30 when Todd gets home until around 8:30 or 9:00 to get everything finished that we need to get finished -- just in time for him to go to bed so he can get in a few solid hours of sleep before his shift starts around 3:00 or 4:00.

I have to admit, I'm a little frustrated. Wait...I'll take that back. I'm a lot frustrated. I know this isn't forever, but I'm the kind of person who can really appreciate some good quiet time. Obviously, quiet time isn't something I get much of and it's starting to get to me. This is more than a full-time job (what did I expect?) and I'm pretty burned out already.

I have to keep reminding myself that it won't be like this forever. These fussy, colicky days aren't around forever and, when you look at it on a time line, three or so months is a tiny blip on the radar. But when you're in the middle of it, having not slept in your bed in over a month, it seems like an eternity.

Please don't get me wrong, here, though...I wouldn't change this for anything. I love my girls and my little boy. I love my husband and my title. I wouldn't change anything. It's just weird to be so happy and so miserable all at the same time.

Anyone got any happy pills? I like the ones that say "Prozac" on them. :)

Luckily, I have the support of great friends and family. Todd and I went out on a date on Saturday while friends Tyler and Linda watched the three devils...er, children.

We went down the street to Trilogy Pizza and Wine Bistro where we had a glass of wine and split a salad and a pizza. Bliss. No interruptions! They are a cool little place

Afterwards, we headed next door to my favorite place in the neighborhood, Copa Wine Bar and Tasting Room. This place has an enormous selection of all types of wine and is one of these establishments with big, cushy chairs and comfy couches. It has a relaxed atmosphere, but one that is sophisticated and warm. Jeff and Angie, the owners, know their regulars by name (should I admit that I am one of them?) and are always willing to give you a few tastings to help you find the wine of your dreams. I could live there. Check them out at www.copawinebar.com.

After a glass of wine and a slice of cheesecake, we drove north toward Spect's Store, a typical Hill Country restaurant with live music on the weekends out on their big patio. But as we walked across the gravel parking lot, we heard the lead-singer of the band say, "Good night! You've been a great audience!" Nevermind.

We headed home and enjoyed the few moments left of silence as we approached the house. It was a great night out. I loved reconnecting with Todd and having a conversation with him that wasn't interrupted by anything more than, "Another glass of wine, ma'am?"

I guess that's all for now. I'll try to be better about posting, although between the spitting up, the crying and the whining, I don't have much time these days. But I'll do what I can. Thanks for the patience.

With love,
Moi

Devin's Doozie

Devin was playing on one of the ottomans in our living room last night. In true three-year-old style, he got a little rambunctious and fell of the ottoman, hitting his foot on the end table that sits nearby.

Of course, crying ensued and Todd picked him up to comfort him. Through the sobbing, he looked into the kitchen, saw the fruit sitting on the counter and said in a miserable, more-tears-than-necessary voice, "I want a banana to make me feel better!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to read your normal. I just want you to know it DOES get better, but like you said when you are in the middle of it that does not help LOL! I remember sleeping (or was it not sleeping)on the couch for a month UGH! It is WAY more than a full time job. I really don't know how I made it through it all. Just wanted you to know I survived but its not job for the weak. Everyday is a day closer to sleeping through the night, that makes a BIG difference.

((HUGS))

Laura
(mom from the MOMO twin board)