Thursday, July 27, 2006

July 27, 2006

I just had to make sure I found time to blog today because I have exciting news: Grace made her first of many delighted squeals!

Each night, we bathe the girls, one after another. While the first one is bathed, the second is placed in the crib to watch the crib toys and wait patiently (hah!). Then, we switch.

Well, tonight, Grace went first. After her bath, I lotioned her, diapered her and jammied her. Into the crib she went, and Faith came out.

I got Faith bathed and as I walked from the bathroom into the nursery, I heard Grace let out a screetch. I braced for the usual onslaught of screams that were sure to follow, but nothing but silence ensued. I turned toward the crib to see her, and she was just happily watching the crib aquarium (thanks Beach family -- thank you note is forthcoming, I swear!). I laughed, thinking it must have been a fluke, but two more times while I was getting Faith ready for bed, the same sound was uttered from behind me! She was happy with her aquarium and was telling us all about it!

I called Todd and Devin to come in, but when Devin ran into the room, he scared Grace and her happy coos turned to angry screams. So much for that. But it was sure fun while it lasted.

In munchkin news...

I took the girls for their upper GIs today (more on that later) and while I did, good friend and neighbor, Gina, took Devin for me. But she didn't just watch him -- she took him to Six Flags Fiesta Texas! She, Devin and her three girls (ten-year-old twin daughters McKenna and Jordyn and six-year-old Alyssa) all ventured to the theme park and rode all of the kiddie rides! Devin was a trooper, from what I hear, and was ready to try everything! He came home around 1:15 and was so tired that he never gave a fuss to taking a nap. He just marched up the stairs and climbed into bed without so much as a, "But Mommy..." Nearly for hours later, returned downstairs and told me, "I had a good nap!"

The upper GI outing was a hoot, too. I got the girls there at 9:00 and, as promised, they had been fasting for more than five hours. Needless to say, I arrived with some pretty angry babies. The nurse immediately took me to the back where the girls could scream without bringing everyone in the waiting room to their knees. While back there, the nurses flocked to them like ugly on an ape. At one point, the doctor came looking for his nurses because they were all in the back cooing over Faith and Grace. Even in a bad mood, they still charm the socks off of everyone they meet.

They were taken to the exam room, given their Barium bottles (now I know why they wanted them to fast - no one would drink that stuff unless they were famished) and were studied beneath the x-ray. The doctor said all looked fine, which was great news. Hopefully, the reflux can be treated with medication and be put under control soon.

When we returned home, it was only 10:30. Knowing that Devin wasn't due home for another two hours or so and having some pretty sleepy girls (they cried themselves into a hungry frenzy and tired themselves out!), I settled into the couch. I watched some TV, read my book, dozed off, had lunch, dozed some more, read my book and then greeted Devin. It was awesome! It was the first, peaceful, to-myself day I have had in a long, long time. It was just what I needed. I'm feeling good.

Well, Devin has built a space ship out of pillows on my bed and apparently I am the next passenger on the trip to school (he isn't quite aware of outter space yet). I must hop in for my trek.

Bon voyage,
E

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»